Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do You Always Enforce The "24 Hrs After Fever Is Gone" Rule? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29240)

newtodaycare22 04-06-2011 09:35 AM

Do You Always Enforce The "24 Hrs After Fever Is Gone" Rule?

My state makes this rule, which says kids must be 24 hours free of fever before returning. I have always enforced it, even when the kids is "betteR" the next day.

Do you guys do the same?

I feel so bad for one of my moms today. It's her 3rd day back to work after maternity leave and I had to call because her 3yo had a 101 fever. Mom's bf had to get her and I know tomorrow will be a hardship if she has to take off already. :( Would anyone be a softy and let the kid return if her fever actually breaks tonight? Her only complaint was a tummy ache, so I'm guessing its a stomach bug.

I'm usually a stickler with policies...but I feel for the mom on this one!

daycare 04-06-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
My state makes this rule, which says kids must be 24 hours free of fever before returning. I have always enforced it, even when the kids is "betteR" the next day.

Do you guys do the same?

I feel so bad for one of my moms today. It's her 3rd day back to work after maternity leave and I had to call because her 3yo had a 101 fever. Mom's bf had to get her and I know tomorrow will be a hardship if she has to take off already. :( Would anyone be a softy and let the kid return if her fever actually breaks tonight? Her only complaint was a tummy ache, so I'm guessing its a stomach bug.

I'm usually a stickler with policies...but I feel for the mom on this one!

you will feel worse if and when she gets you and all the other kids sick.

cheerfuldom 04-06-2011 09:47 AM

I do it on a case by case basis. I have the policy but reserve the right to make exceptions.

Blackcat31 04-06-2011 09:50 AM

I can see where you would feel bad for her, but I wouldn't recommend making any decisions based on how bad you feel; that is just asking for trouble...kwim? BUT, that being said, I would maybe consider it depending on the actual illness, the level of respect the family normally shows you in regards to your policies and rules and how it will effect the other kids in care.

If you KNOW it is a cold or simple common virus and the child is normally really well taken care of and not left with green snot days on end before finally being brought to the doctor, I wouldn't think much of it.

But you also have to consider the fact that the parent may come to expect that you make exceptions for her in the future on a regualr basis or if other dcp's find out you did it for one, you will have to do it for them too....

Boy, that is a tough one and for me it would have to depend on the specific relationship I had with this family.

newtodaycare22 04-06-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by daycare:
you will feel worse if and when she gets you and all the other kids sick.

Yeah but honestly...we've already been exposed. She's with us 50 hours a week:lol:

daycare 04-06-2011 09:54 AM

Yeah but honestly...we've already been exposed. She's with us 50 hours a week:lol:

parents tell me that all the time.

I am not a doctor and have no medical background, but i was told by my child's doctor that not all children will pick it up the first time, but the chance will increase the more they are exposed to it...

newtodaycare22 04-06-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by daycare:
parents tell me that all the time.

I am not a doctor and have no medical background, but i was told by my child's doctor that not all children will pick it up the first time, but the chance will increase the more they are exposed to it...

Yeah, I'm sure you are right about that. The more the snot is in your face, the more likely you are to catch the germs.

Oh, the joys of our jobs :o)

daycare 04-06-2011 10:01 AM

Yeah, I'm sure you are right about that. The more the snot is in your face, the more likely you are to catch the germs.

Oh, the joys of our jobs :o)

lol I do understand where you are though, trust me. I know that a lot of us have been in your shoes with this matter.

I had a family who's little one was getting sick left and right. DCK kept brining stuff into the DC and was missing at least 1-2 days a week of work. I felt really bad, but it clearly states in my PHB that I only care for well kids and that they need to have back-up care for when thier child is ill. Like a friend/family member who can watch them so they can continue to go to work.

nannyde 04-06-2011 10:49 AM

No I don't.

I don't want a knowingly sick kid in the house.

It's VERY common for kids to get sick when the Mom returns to work after a long break. It's a stressful time for everyone and their immunity is lowered. I just let Mom's know to prepare for the child to be ill within the first two weeks and have a back up plan in place NOW.

I just started one a few weeks ago and his bro got sick the second week. It happens and it's VERY common.

MsMe 04-06-2011 11:11 AM

I would not. If you bend a rule like this it opens the door for them to do it again....and the next time they will assume it is ok because you let it happen last time. It is never ideal for a parent to miss work so they are always looking at a way around the 24 hr rule. You should remind them that if they can keep their child home for the entire run of their illness the less is will spead to the other children and in turn be gone for good and not keep circling from kid to kid.

Live and Learn 04-06-2011 11:58 AM

You have policies for a reason.:)

Stick to your policies or live to regret it.

I recently had a parent tell me that all their child's sick days were a financial burden.:mad: What with having to pay me while taking days off of work......said they were running out of sick and vacation time.:mad: I think the parent wanted me not to charge for their sick days......no thanks!!:lol::lol::lol:

The same parent had been bragging about 2 airline trips the entire family was going on and shortly after the sick period cleared for their child that same parent gave me several dates that they would be absent. Apparently they had enough vacation days to VACATION but not enough vacation days to PARENT!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Stick to your policy!