Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Family DC and Your Own Children (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46958)

DevorahNA 06-18-2012 08:19 PM

Family DC and Your Own Children

Hi everyone!
I am thinking about opening a family dc with the hopes of expanding to a few classes in the future. For now though, how does it work with having your own children present. I have an 18 month old daughter and I would be thrilled to stop sending her to a center and have her with me all day, but I am scared of what it will be like! Previously I was teaching 2's at a center and my daughter was in the toddler/infant classroom,a nd whenever our classes interacted my daughter was all over me screaming to be held. I couldn't teach my own class like that!
Anyone have a family dc and have their own kids present?

Blackcat31 06-18-2012 08:31 PM

Welcome to the forum :Sunny:

Your status has been upgraded so you can post freely now :)

DevorahNA 06-18-2012 08:46 PM

Thanks!

Thank you, I am so excited to have found this forum/website!

SunshineMama 06-19-2012 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by DevorahNA:
Hi everyone!
I am thinking about opening a family dc with the hopes of expanding to a few classes in the future. For now though, how does it work with having your own children present. I have an 18 month old daughter and I would be thrilled to stop sending her to a center and have her with me all day, but I am scared of what it will be like! Previously I was teaching 2's at a center and my daughter was in the toddler/infant classroom,a nd whenever our classes interacted my daughter was all over me screaming to be held. I couldn't teach my own class like that!
Anyone have a family dc and have their own kids present?

I have an in-home daycare with 6 children total, 2 of which are my own. My youngest is 18 months. She does get a little jealous and wants to be held a lot sometimes. When it is excessive, I just sit on the floor and let her sit on my lap. I dont move and I am very boring to her ;) After a while she realizes theress a lot more going on and gets up and plays.

Of course, I do sneak in extra hugs and cuddles for my own kids, after all, that is why I am in this business. I give everyone fair attention, hugs, and love, but when I have a little extra for my own I dont feel guilty about it. Eventually, your child will become a part of the group and want to copy trhe older children, so if they are in line and good examples, your child's behavior will probably follow.

cheerfuldom 06-19-2012 05:59 AM

I have three of my children at home all day right now (no school agers yet) and another on the way in Feb. Its not always easy and I think a lot of providers will agree that our own kids are way harder than the daycare kids. You daughter will have to learn the meaning of the word "no" really fast. You can sneak in some time together and try to smooth out the transition but it is likely going to be hard for her for a bit. If you can, keep the daycare area separate and keep her toys separate from daycare toys....that helps with the territorial behavior. After that, it just takes time for them to get used to it.

Lilbutterflie 06-19-2012 06:24 AM

I started my small family home daycare three years ago, my DD was 4 & my DS was 18 months. It has not really been an issue with my DD at all, but she was older & is now school age. My DS has been the hardest child to handle; he acts out, deliberately disobeys the rules, etc... It has gotten better with CONSTANT CONSISTENCY, but it has been challenging!!

PPs have said it all, make sure you give lots of attention to your own when you can, they can get very jealous of the others monopolizing your time and attention. Separate the daycare toys from their toys. My kiddos have their own toys in their rooms, and it is off limits to the daycare. However, my kids are allowed to retreat to their rooms for some privacy whenever they need to. The daycare toys are for everyone, and everyone including my kids has to share! If my kids choose to bring out their toys to show the others, they MUST share it with the others.

All in all, it has been a positive experience for us all. I have enjoyed being home with them; and I know ultimately they have enjoyed me being home with them!!

Unregistered 06-25-2012 08:22 AM

Child Party Hosting in the DMV area

CHILDREN EVENT PARTY HOSTING SERVICES

Exhausted after planning your child's party?
Are you disappointed that your going to be too busy running around and taking care of logistics that you wont have time to spend with your kid on their very special day?
Short on party game ideas?

Hoop-lah children's event Party hosting is at your service.

How it works?
Your Child's party is coming up.
You have a party idea.
Well come in for a consultation.
On the day of the party, you relax and enjoy your son or daughters birthday and well handle everything from the entertainment to the candles on the cake.

Please reply directly to
hooplah.child@gmail.com if you'd like Hooplah to host your childs next party! We travel within the DC , Maryland, Virginia Area