Daycare.com Forum
First ... 2 3 4 5 6  ... Last

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parents and Guardians Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Charging on Holidays (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3)

dEHmom 06-24-2011 09:05 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am not money hungry but I did just watch a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives episode and they showcased a place that made wild rice french toast with blackberry sauce and now I am starving!!!! :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ProudMom2evry1 08-09-2011 07:48 PM

Both experienced taking my child to a daycare and having my own daycare

Originally Posted by CharlesReese:
I personally don't own a day care, nor do I ever plan on it. However, I do understand that it is a business, but any business should know what is ethical and unethical or does anyone have a conscious these days.

After reading some of the post that had been written some time ago, I wonder how you think you should be paid for holidays and for inclement weather when you don’t watch children.

My problem is this, if you watch a child then you should be paid for those services. If you don’t then there should be no charge. My wife and I have to deal with her brother and his wife. They don’t have a day care, but they sure do operate their home like it is. (Of course there home can be treated as such.)

Earning my Master’s and learning more and more about businesses and how they operate helps me understand what is ethical and not ethical. So again let me ask the question, why should daycare’s be paid for services not rendered for bad weather, holidays, or when children can be watched by their parents?

Just saying, “you get paid holidays why shouldn’t we” is not an valid argument.

It’s dishonest to charge parents when you don’t watch children. I do agree that policies should be up front and in writing. But again are your policies honest? If they are, then I’m sure parents will enjoy doing business with you, if not your probably still going to have that migraine.

Companies still have to take out federal income tax, state income tax, health care fees, retirement, S.S. fees, and disability. Of course some of these are mandatory while others are voluntarily. So as a daycare are you doing all of this? Do you offer retirement for your employees, paid holidays, paid time off, and sick leave?

Again, why should parents pay a daycare for services they didn’t provide?

If someone on this blog can give me an honest and valid argument then maybe you can persuade me to understand why you should be paid for services not provided?

Before I start, I would like everyone to know that everything I mentioned here concerning child care is based in CA.

When I was taking my child to a day care provider some years ago, all I know is that I'm paying her for taking care of my child and that's it! I worked at a retail store and the word "holiday" does not really exist so, I was a little bit upset. I thought that it was really not fair for me to pay her when I can't bring my son in due to her vacation or paid holiday. I thought that it was not fair that she's getting paid for relaxing and spending time with her family while I have to go to work and leave my child to some other stranger just so she can take her "day off".

Well, after a few years I decided to open up my own day care and learned a few things on how to run this business. Well, I did not know about the capacity limit and the restrictions set by the state. So, here's how it works:

Capacity limit of 6-8 kids for small day care - this means that 3 kids can be ages from 0-24 months and 8 kids if u have 2 school aged kids with only 2 kids that are 0-24mos of age

If you had you small day care license for over a year, you can request for a large license meaning your capacity limit will be changed from 6-8 to 12-14 kids with age restrictions.

Capacity limit of 12-kids are allowed if you have 4 kids ages 0-24 months. If only 3 kids are ages 0-24 mos, you can have up to 14 provided that at least 2 of them are school aged. You are also required to have an assistant.

Now, going back to the question. Why do parents have to pay their child care providers even if their child is not present? Because child care providers don't get paid by the hour. If we do, then it's only fair not to charge for the time or days that their child is not in our care.

If we at least get paid the minimum wage, no child care provider will complain.

This is how I make parents understand and realize that they are paying for the spot and not for my time:

I offer the "drop-in basis". This means that parents don't have to pay me for the days that their child is not here, but since the spot is not guaranteed for their child, they have to call me the day before they wish to drop off their child. Of course, if I have the spot, I say sure... but, if I don't... then I just say "no".

Parents are our clients, not our employers. We don't have employees' rights but, we set our own policies. We don't get paid by the hour but we charge for the child's spot.

Just like a retail store, if you don't like their return policy or their prices... you just simply have to move on. We are a business and not employees. I hope this helps.

Christian Mother 08-10-2011 10:22 AM

I think you def. do have to look at it as a "case by case" issue. Although it is not illegal to charge for holidays or days not there. You do need to put a lot of time looking for a provider... To be honest, I think person(s) looking for care for their child(s) need to do a lot of investigating on what they want in a provider/facility. There are going to be compromises on both ends. But you need to make sure you make a list of things you are looking for. Your child is the most important thing to you so why not take the time to really go in and look for that "perfect" care your looking for. Take in consideration that this is a business to us and we work soooo very hard on making sure your child is safe, loved, entertained, taught, encouraged, I could go on and on. I am willing to bet that your not happy where your at bc you wouldn't question at all pay. You would be sooo over happy where your leaving your child that money would never be a issue. If you think your paying to much you need to be in communication with your provider. Start looking in your area for what the going rate is and if they charge for days that your child is not there. Some do some don't. I do not but I can tell you. My child care here every day. They don't miss days and the parent provide me with toys, food, gift certificates, little notes of appreciation. They do this with out me even asking. I love it bc it makes me feel appreciated..and I would never ask for more money bc these parent go above and beyond. I sometimes will care for a child when it is a holiday and I charge double my normal rate. They don't complain or even argue it. I am hardly ever sick. Last yr I had pneumonia and was sick for 3 days and some of my kids stayed home and i had maybe 2 child that my husband came home to help watch since I could not. We all make do as we all care and love each other. It's a group effort but it is still a business. If you agreed and signed the contract your bound to it. If you now feel that you can't continue paying or you now don't agree you need to have a talk with your provider and either try to find a compromise or give your 2 weeks notice but understand that you will still have to pay regardless of whether your child is there or not.

mismatchedsocks 08-10-2011 10:33 AM

I started to reply, but didnt read the whole post. However my take on charging for holidays is this. I charge a rate. Its a weekly rate. You pay this weekly rate to me every week. The only time you do not have to pay me is when I am on vacation, because then I feel that they may have to pay for another daycare.

Here is a way to think about it. or word it.

"I charge a weekly fee of $150 a week ( for example ). This is to be paid weekly on Monday. There is no discount for days off or holidays because it is already worked into the tuition amount. It also covers the food, love, warmth, electricity, ...... etc. that I will provide. Even times/days your child is not here I am planning for them to be here. Food, arts, laundry, gifts, etc."

If you think about how many days we work in a year ( me its 60 a week times 52 weeks = 3,120. Then subtract my week off, and then about 5 holidays. So about 3000 hours. Divide this by 52 weeks is about 57 hours a week, equals to about 2.60 an hour. OR if we did the hourly way, that parents want only when their child was here. I would not charge 2.60 an hour. I would charge about 4 an hour, so pretty much paying $170 a week.

that was a bunch of rambling, but in other words the tuition that a parent pays every week here takes into account the holidays and days off when making the price.

Unregistered 08-26-2011 07:21 AM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? (No pun intended)

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes it is legal.
Why should you get paid for holidays and not us?

If you want PAID holidays then get a job where you work for someone.... you own a day care so put your big boy pants on and understand what going in to businees means!!!

Unregistered 08-29-2011 03:12 PM

Yes it is. A daycare is a business you are coming to someone's business you are not their boss and you do not set the rules, if you want to do that hire a nanny. All licensed daycare's have a contract (if you went to one that is not licensed that is your fault) and you signed that contract so you are abide to follow the rules. If you do not like it, look for another place for your child. And when you do think that daycare providers work 12 to 13 hours a day for less than 3 dollars an hour, that is not even minimum wage so show a little appreciation for the person that is helping you race your child. There is to kinds of daycare the ones that don't do anything with the children just put them in front of a TV and watch them play, and the ones that prepare daily activities, lesson plans, never have the TV on etc...quality daycare is expensive. So again is your decision what kind of daycare you want for your child and how much are you willing to pay for it. I charge by month so I charge for 48 weeks a year instead of the 52 weeks everybody charges so there is my 2 week vacation time and Holidays that I consider I well deserved for my hard work. Any of the parents in my DC complains and they all tell me to have a nice vacation all the time other wise (since I have a waiting list) they would not be in my daycare.

Unregistered 08-29-2011 03:39 PM

daycare fees

can some one tell me why daycares are allowed to charge fees even when they decided to close the center? on stat holidays as well?

Jewels 09-02-2011 06:19 AM

can some one tell me why daycares are allowed to charge fees even when they decided to close the center? on stat holidays as well?

OK SERIOUSLY???? Read The above^^^ 400 replies to same same original question.

blessedmess8 09-02-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by crazycat97306:
I personally take 5 holidays off each year as well as a week at the end of summer. I also usually take 3-4 days off throughout the year as sick days. These are days where I am too sick to care for children properly or days when my own kids have something contagious like strep throat. I charge monthly based on 4 weeks in a month. For example, I charge $440 per month per child, based on $110 for 4 weeks. Therefore parents are only paying for 48 weeks a year instead of 52. This allows me to take my time off without having to lose any money. This also means that parents are not paying twice when they have to pay for backup.

Hey! I like that!

odskids 09-02-2011 08:14 AM

I couldn't have said it better!
Parents need to read, understand, and agree to the contract they are signing. If they do not agree to the paid days off, then find care elsewhere. We work, long hours and need a break just like anyone else to reenergize so we can be the the best providers for the children that we care for! It's that simple!

caligirl 10-12-2011 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Interested:
Is it legal to charge for day care for days the children are not at day care or days the day care close because of weather or holidays.:(

If you put it in your contract and the parent signs it. YES it is legal.

kayla 11-15-2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered
Exactly my thoughts *Interested*
"Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7. "

My, you sound like a provider who really doesn't like parents or children... Maybe time to find a new profession? I am a healthcare professional and think it is completely fair to provide my childcare provider for the same paid holidays that most other professionals receive.. These would be Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.. But, we had one who wanted paid time off for every school vacation day, including the 2 weeks off at Christmas paid! This is an extreme hardship on parents who must pay "double" and find someone else to cover those days. Many of these parents aren't lucky enough to be getting ANY paid holidays of their own... Of the ones who are, only parents who happen to be school teachers are getting as many paid holidays as this childcare provider. (We found someone new). If this woman wants so many paid holidays she should go back to college and get a teaching degree.

maybe you should only have children you can afford. And read a contract fully before you sign..

kayla 11-15-2011 09:46 AM

If you want PAID holidays then get a job where you work for someone.... you own a day care so put your big boy pants on and understand what going in to businees means!!!

good point we own a daycare..hint:we make the rules get over it... please read a contract before you sign it!!!:D

renodeb 11-15-2011 10:27 AM

Unfortunatly, (sp?) It is legal. I dont do it that way but most places will have it in writting. The dcs I know of where I live dont discount for bad weather. I think its up tp the individual place to make up there policies.
Debbie

jgpdz 11-17-2011 06:52 PM

Really?

It's easy for you to say that parents whine but funny that the money is not coming out of your pocket...you must a provider!

Cat Herder 11-18-2011 04:26 AM

Yeah, having children is expensive. :Sunny:

Taxpayer 11-23-2011 10:54 AM

Do Day Cares still charge the state for subsidized daycare rates for days when services are not rendered due to inclement weather or holidays?

Unregistered 11-23-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Taxpayer:
Do Day Cares still charge the state for subsidized daycare rates for days when services are not rendered due to inclement weather or holidays?

Our state subsidized program pays for 10 Federal holidays for families on assistance ONLY if the provider normally charges ALL other families for those same holidays.

Our state does NOT pay for closures for the provider vacation or parent vacations or for bad weather closures. Even if ALL the other parents have to pay. In that case, we have to directly bill the family since the state doesn't cover it. The only other option is to not to charge ANY family for any closures.

Unregistered 01-22-2012 06:13 PM

Daddy day care

Blah, blah, blah. You get vacation pay why shouldn't we, yes but the other people don't pay for it the company does. Please, all I know is that it's another way they got you/they got us by the b-lls. At $13,000 a year for my kid, let see total of 27 kids mostly from welfare families (many places) I pay cash, and they walk away with $351,000 a year. Really? You think I should pay for your vacation still? 2-teachers making what $40,000 at total max $80,000 leaving $271,000 for daycare. Really? Owners should learn to eat some of costs. I've learned that I'm in the wrong business.

littlemissmuffet 01-22-2012 08:14 PM

Blah, blah, blah. You get vacation pay why shouldn't we, yes but the other people don't pay for it the company does. Please, all I know is that it's another way they got you/they got us by the b-lls. At $13,000 a year for my kid, let see total of 27 kids mostly from welfare families (many places) I pay cash, and they walk away with $351,000 a year. Really? You think I should pay for your vacation still? 2-teachers making what $40,000 at total max $80,000 leaving $271,000 for daycare. Really? Owners should learn to eat some of costs. I've learned that I'm in the wrong business.

:lol: Then stay home and take care of your own children. Or put them in a center. You have a choice. So do we. :)

Unregistered 01-28-2012 11:35 AM

Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7.

YES!!! THIS

OP: This is just yet another situation where parents want to crap on their providers. Is it legal for your job to pay you for time you DON'T WORK? Oh, wait, it is isn't it? It's called a benefit. Us providers don't get paid benefits, but sheesh, we should get some sort of acknowledgment for the work we do. This job is so thankless. The kids are the only ones who even make a difference in our lives, and maybe the one or two parents that come and go that are decent. This is why I quit too! People are ungrateful especially when it comes to the care of their children which boggles my mind. A child should come FIRST, not last. If your child is sick or you don't have to work Christmas, how is that OUR fault? Why should WE sacrifice even MORE time with OUR families so you don't have to pay us? Why should WE be forced to work a day YOUR OWN employer gives you off? And if on the off chance that they don't, why do we HAVE to work? Why is it okay for YOU to get paid for sick time, vacation time, personal time, Holiday pay for NOT doing a job, but the same isn't okay for providers? You're not working, right? why should your employers offer to pay you? The COMPANY consists of OTHER PEOPLE!! It's like dumb is everywhere these days. It goes BOTH ways, so why should providers be screwed over? In-Home providers make NOTHING. Seriously, look at my taxes for 10 years, I made NOTHING. Your (general) kids should be much more important than MONEY! SHAME SHAME!

Unregistered 01-28-2012 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by leadhead15717:
*Do you pay for a whole month of cable-even if you only watch it 24 days a month?
* Do you pay full price for your VCR if you only use it twice a week?
* Do you pay full price for your meal even if you don’t finish it?
* Do you pay the same rent/mortgage even when you are at work 5 days a week?
*Do you pay your full car payments if you only drive it a few days a month?
* Do you pay your whole cable bill if you only watch TV one day a week.

This list could go on but it amazes me that people can't grasp the concept when it comes to Day Care services.........:confused:

Or insurance you never use?

LOL

This is the PERFECT analogy, THANK YOU!

MsMe 01-30-2012 09:59 AM

I know this is old AND from an unregistered....but I can't help but reply.

you have it COMPLETLEY backwards. As a business owner I can set up my Daycare as I please. I attract clients that read and AGREE to my contract and we are all very happy about it.

TGPII 04-13-2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Interested:
Is it legal to charge for day care for days the children are not at day care or days the day care close because of weather or holidays.:(

How are daycares closed due to bad weather? When I work at daycare the weather was bad elementary schools would be closed. So parents would scramble to send there elementary kids to daycare. So when had to be open! They did get charged extra, however parents knew that/this in advance.

DaisyMamma 04-14-2012 05:34 AM

Yes it is legal.
Why should you get paid for holidays and not us?

likethislikethislikethislikethislikethis

Unregistered 05-04-2012 06:08 PM

Hourly wage

Please consider that only teachers get paid holidays not worked!!! The rest of us that have to clock in get paid by the hour, and with the economy the way it is most employers work a skeleton crew and you get sent home without pay, if teachers got paid like this life would be fair!!!

saved4always 05-05-2012 01:03 PM

Please consider that only teachers get paid holidays not worked!!! The rest of us that have to clock in get paid by the hour, and with the economy the way it is most employers work a skeleton crew and you get sent home without pay, if teachers got paid like this life would be fair!!!

This is not true. Many other professions get paid holidays. I used to work for an insurance company and I did not work holidays but did get paid for them. My dh is in manufacturing and he and everyone else who works there gets off for the holidays and is paid. I am starting a new job and I will be hourly but I will also get paid holidays although we are closed on those days. I know that there are some jobs, many that are paid hourly, that do not get paid for the holidays if they are not working (i.e. fast food, retail, etc.). But, to say that, in general, only teachers get paid for holidays is just not accurate since there are many non-teachers who do get holiday pay when they have the day off.

rakib 05-05-2012 11:10 PM

Why should you get paid for holiday and not us?????????

Abigail 05-06-2012 11:50 AM

Wow, this thread should be locked. If people actually took the time to read the 3 pages of posts all their questions would be answered.

Unregistered 05-30-2012 11:52 AM

As parents we do not employ daycare workers. Daycare centers employ daycare workers. Parents are paying customers and the daycare provides a service. Having said that, the business should be conducted as such. Just as in any other business, if you don't render a service, you don't get paid.

Unregistered 05-30-2012 01:57 PM

paid time off

As parents we do not employ daycare workers. Daycare centers employ daycare workers. Parents are paying customers and the daycare provides a service. Having said that, the business should be conducted as such. Just as in any other business, if you don't render a service, you don't get paid.

If it is in my contract I do. Parents in my child care pay for the space NOT just the service.

There are hundreds of child cares out there.

Bottom line is that if you don't want to pay for the provider's vacation time or off days, then find one who doesn't ask you to.

But if you have one who asks you too and you sign it....stop complaining about it!!!!!

MarinaVanessa 05-30-2012 04:39 PM

A gym provides a service, they provide their facility which allow you to work out on their machines, to take their special classes etc. These places also close for holidays. Members are paying customers who pay for a monthly service. This monthly fee is the same flat fee paid each month regardless of whether the gym is closed for a holiday or not. They don't render services for holidays and they still get paid.

Costco is another example. Members pay the same flat monthly fee to be able to shop in their store and the fee is not prorated when they have to close for holidays.

saved4always 05-30-2012 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
A gym provides a service, they provide their facility which allow you to work out on their machines, to take their special classes etc. These places also close for holidays. Members are paying customers who pay for a monthly service. This monthly fee is the same flat fee paid each month regardless of whether the gym is closed for a holiday or not. They don't render services for holidays and they still get paid.

Costco is another example. Members pay the same flat monthly fee to be able to shop in their store and the fee is not prorated when they have to close for holidays.

likethis Great way to explain it!

Lyss 05-30-2012 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

GREAT explanation! (I'm gonna steal it btw!:D)

Mom and Provider 06-19-2012 01:38 PM

Think about it

Think about everything needed to take care of up to 10 kids a day. You need to think about toys/books, projects/activities, food, naps, everything needed to clean and organize.

Some people are lucky enough to have the money to start a daycare outside their home, but for those of us who are doing it to stay at home with our families and because we enjoy kids, we are sharing our home/business in one space. It also means all of our furniture is getting used more than before.

Most Daycares aren't able to fill all their spots, so we depend the income of our contracted families. So when you decide to take a day off, we still need to get paid because that is our only income. However, I don't believe in charging for major holidays like memorial day, labor day, thanksgiving, and christmas because these are days that we are most likely not caring for children and not all parents get holidays off. Plus I wouldn't charge for a holiday that falls on a day the child wouldn't normally be here. I don't believe in charging for vacations I take either or if I have to take a sick day.

Most of us are giving 10-12 hrs day to care for children, which what your paying may seem like a lot, but after all the costs of supplies and taxes, it's not as much as you think.

I have used several daycares in the past, most of which didn't charge for holidays either, and until I started my own I didn't realize what the providers do on a daily basis. Granted, it is rewarding working with kids, but you also have to think about the fact that not all kids are angels either.

So before you get upset about prices, holidays, and ect... think about how much work the provider does and the lack of breaks.

Babybear911 06-21-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered
"Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7. "

My, you sound like a provider who really doesn't like parents or children... Maybe time to find a new profession? I am a healthcare professional and think it is completely fair to provide my childcare provider for the same paid holidays that most other professionals receive.. These would be Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.. But, we had one who wanted paid time off for every school vacation day, including the 2 weeks off at Christmas paid! This is an extreme hardship on parents who must pay "double" and find someone else to cover those days. Many of these parents aren't lucky enough to be getting ANY paid holidays of their own... Of the ones who are, only parents who happen to be school teachers are getting as many paid holidays as this childcare provider. (We found someone new). If this woman wants so many paid holidays she should go back to college and get a teaching degree.

Looking after other peoples children is rewarding and a lot of work. You should have appreciated that your daycare provider was taking time off to re-energize their body, mind and spirit. There is a reaon teachers get that many days off a year as well...to have the love and patience that is needed to care for young children one needs to have time off! Why would caring for babies, toddlers, and pre-kinders be any different! I would be fearful of any daycare that doesn't take vacation. Example......Just imagine how grumpy, mean, and impatient they are when YOU are not around! I actually bumped into gruff daycare lady at the beach last week. My kids are all playing, digging, laughing and being kids...the other daycare lady's kids wre playing too. She snapped about 4 times at a 2 year old and told him to "grow up" and then dragged the other little boy in a rag over throwing sand. Which is exactly what ALL kids do...instead of being calm she flipped out! I was mortified! I couldn't take it anymore and spoke up and said to her "sounds like you need a vacation". She said she doesn't take vacations for her parents! Really?? Wow! So instead she is mean, sharp tongued, rude and aggressive with their children instead! Do you think she behaves that way when the prents around???? Seriously ask yourself that question! I would NEVER want my kids in her daycare! My babies get love, cuddles, patience and support each day and YES I take vacation! Including 2 weeks off at Chirstmas! It's called family time for my daycare parents and for my family! It benefits everyone, especially the children!

Unregistered 07-05-2012 11:01 AM

M

Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7.

What a b*tch. Hope to goodness you never have children. It's a business in that one should not have to pay for services not rendered. If my doctor goes out of turn and consequently I can't see him in the office, do I still pay him? No, he doesn't get paid for not doing work not does he get paid holidays.

You are a piece of work. Some people work holidays and don't get paid any special pay. It's a capital expense that should be taken out of the conpany's resources not the moms that pay holidays and then have to turn around and double pay another sitter while they have to work holidays. I don't even understand the point of holidays, in healthcare I have to work every holiday so what makes day care so special that they automatically get the day off? Kids still need to be looked after, some times I think business owners and day care workers whine more than the kids do.

Truly Scrumptious 07-05-2012 02:23 PM

New families interested in enrollment in my program have to go through a 3 Step Interview. The first interview is for parents only. It's after day care hours and can last anywhere from 2-3 hours. I have a guideline I use to make sure and discuss EVERY rule including fees and I make sure and give scenerios to help them fully understand. They are given a list of all paid/closed holidays and vacations, a short resume with references, an example of a monthly calendar, and an outline of the yearly themed curriculum I use. (Contracts and Policies are not even brought out at this time).
The second part of the interview is for the parents and the child during day care hours. It's for just relaxing and getting to know each other to see if we are a fit.
The third part of the interview is when we both have decided that enrollement is a good idea. Again the third interview is for parents only (I don't want any distractions). We sit down together and go over and sign Contracts and Policies.
This process gives parents plenty of time to think about everthing that they have seen and heard and decide if they agree with and will abide by all of the rules. I always remind parents that if they don't agree for any reason, then they should walk away, otherwise it will affect our relationship and they won't be here long.
It's important to make sure all information is given upfront so problems later on are less likely to happen.
So, however you decide to run your business is up to you. You set your fees, your hours, your time off etc....all providers are different. Parents can choose what works best for them.
But, parents don't have to the right to change rules when it suits them just because they want a particular provider to care for their child or because the other providers they had to choose from didn't measure up. (Parent's want the choice of: "Hey I pick you because your the best, but I don't really like or agree with all your rules. Oh, but I'm coming here for sure. So, I'll just be your worst nightmare for as long as you allow it....you see, I'm selfish like that").
Bottom line is this...My House (or Day Care) My Rules! I tell parents that I am the boss of my day care and that they are the boss of their child. As the boss of my day care, I make the rules and will not change them to suit parents..as the boss of their child, if they don't like the rules, they get to decide whether to stay or go, but they don't get to tell me what to do. :mad:

Unregistered 08-20-2012 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by momofboys:
Most teachers get a paid salary. So when they are sick they still get paid, if they have a snow day they do have to make the day up in some instances but they still get paid the same amount regardless of how much or how little they work that week. Usually their payment is spread out over the whole year. No disrespect to teachers, there are 2 in my family & I know when school is in session it's a lot of work but considering they have 7-8 weeks off in the summer (usually longer than this but I know they also have prep work to do before school starts) & usually 2 weeks at Christmas that is pretty good pay for not working.
So indirectly they are still paid. When there is a snow day they don't deduct a day of pay. I'm pretty sure teachers' unions would not permit that!

My daughter is a teacher and her salary is for the days worked, not breaks such as Summer. They can choose to receive a paycheck only when working or spread it out over the whole calendar year, which makes each paycheck smaller but gives income all year long.

Unregistered 08-28-2012 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesReese:
I personally don't own a day care, nor do I ever plan on it. However, I do understand that it is a business, but any business should know what is ethical and unethical or does anyone have a conscious these days.

After reading some of the post that had been written some time ago, I wonder how you think you should be paid for holidays and for inclement weather when you don’t watch children.

My problem is this, if you watch a child then you should be paid for those services. If you don’t then there should be no charge. My wife and I have to deal with her brother and his wife. They don’t have a day care, but they sure do operate their home like it is. (Of course there home can be treated as such.)

Earning my Master’s and learning more and more about businesses and how they operate helps me understand what is ethical and not ethical. So again let me ask the question, why should daycare’s be paid for services not rendered for bad weather, holidays, or when children can be watched by their parents?

Just saying, “you get paid holidays why shouldn’t we” is not an valid argument.

It’s dishonest to charge parents when you don’t watch children. I do agree that policies should be up front and in writing. But again are your policies honest? If they are, then I’m sure parents will enjoy doing business with you, if not your probably still going to have that migraine.

Companies still have to take out federal income tax, state income tax, health care fees, retirement, S.S. fees, and disability. Of course some of these are mandatory while others are voluntarily. So as a daycare are you doing all of this? Do you offer retirement for your employees, paid holidays, paid time off, and sick leave?

Again, why should parents pay a daycare for services they didn’t provide?

If someone on this blog can give me an honest and valid argument then maybe you can persuade me to understand why you should be paid for services not provided?

Hello, In Texas a license home daycare can only take care up to 12 children. You are counting to have every week for sure 12 kids so that is why people talk about saving a spot. Why? because if someone pays as they go and they decide not to send their child for that week then how the daycare make the money on that week for that child or spot ( cause remember they only can take care up to 12 NO MORE than that) so if the daycare have a waiting list of children waiting to get that spot and other kids are miss using the spot the daycare facility is losing money and other child that may be using that spot every week of the year is losing a place to being care. For example if you own an airplane don't you wish to have every single seat fill with a passenger? exactly that's the same with a daycare specially the one's that the state only allows them to have an x amount of kids and that's all. Also remember to break down the weekly rate by hours then it is between $2 to $4 an hour ans that's below the minimum wage. I bet you you wouldn't work for that? well the parents should have that in consideration. A daycare is like a second home. How much is the first home worth? how much is the second home for the child worth? good question!