Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wetting Through At Nap Time (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75456)

Turquoise14 01-07-2015 06:18 AM

Wetting Through At Nap Time

2 year old dcb has been wetting through his diaper and clothes at nap time. They still give him a bottle in the morning and before nap and bed at home, but I don't because he is two for goodness sake and also doesn't miss it if I don't. I just keep a cup available for him throughout the day. The problem recently has been that he is wetting through his clothes at nap time. I don't give him a ton to drink or anything, he is just needing bigger or better quality diapers to sleep in. Mom is terrible about sending in extra clothes for him. I have sent him home in my son's old clothes. She came in this morning saying he soaked through at home last night and she guesses they may have to get overnight diapers or something. I just thought it was funny that now that it was a problem for her, it was important to take care of it. If it happened again today, I was going to have a talk with her about doing something about it, since apparently informing her hat it was happening wasn't enough of a clue that she needed to do something. At least she sent extra clothes today.

Givingthemgrace 01-07-2015 06:25 AM

My only suggestion is overnight diapers in a bigger size, put on tightly. You could also have her try a good brand if they are using a cheap brand. Sometimes different brands just leak more on different kids.

Blackcat31 01-07-2015 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Turquoise14:
2 year old dcb has been wetting through his diaper and clothes at nap time. They still give him a bottle in the morning and before nap and bed at home, but I don't because he is two for goodness sake and also doesn't miss it if I don't. I just keep a cup available for him throughout the day. The problem recently has been that he is wetting through his clothes at nap time. I don't give him a ton to drink or anything, he is just needing bigger or better quality diapers to sleep in. Mom is terrible about sending in extra clothes for him. I have sent him home in my son's old clothes. She came in this morning saying he soaked through at home last night and she guesses they may have to get overnight diapers or something. I just thought it was funny that now that it was a problem for her, it was important to take care of it. If it happened again today, I was going to have a talk with her about doing something about it, since apparently informing her that it was happening wasn't enough of a clue that she needed to do something. At least she sent extra clothes today.

People RARELY change their behaviors until it becomes and issue for them. (bolded part)

Also, passive-aggressive comments and hints RARELY state the issue. (underlined part above) Parents rarely pick up on those subtle cues.

It's best to just be upfront and open about what you (and her child) need.

Daycare mom, Billy has been wetting through his clothing at nap time. I've mentioned this before and have even lent you some of my son's clothing as Billy does not have extras. As of tomorrow, you will be turned away at the door unless you bring the required supplies (extra clothing) Billy needs.

Then follow through and deny care if she does not bring extra clothes. Be prepared to hear all sorts of "I just forgot this one day" or "I'll remember tomorrow, I promise" etc...just to get you to allow him in without the stuff he needs. Stand your ground. It's HER responsibility to provide the child with the requirements he needs for the day.

(It might also be a good time to suggest bringing bigger diapers ;))

permanentvacation 01-07-2015 06:41 AM

Here are my suggestions...Stop letting him have a cup of water at his disposal all day. Only give him 1/2 cup of drink at meal times. According to Maryland State Food Program, a 2 year old only needs 1/2 cup of a drink at each meal. That will help control the times he urinates and how much he urinates. If he eats lunch before nap time, which is the typical way it's done at daycare, serve lunch 1 hour before nap time. It will make you have to rearrange your schedule a little, but it will give him time to pee out the drink he gets with lunch. And put two diapers on the child before nap time at daycare.

When it's extremely hot in the summer and he's running around outside, then you should allow the children access to water throughout the time they are outside in the heat. But in the house, especially during winter months, they shouldn't need excess fluids.