Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare and Taxes (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Blinds Damaged by Childcare Kids (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90112)

HappyHeartsChildCare 08-20-2018 09:37 PM

Blinds Damaged by Childcare Kids

Over the years, my vertical blinds have been damaged by the childcare kids. Right now, there are 8 pieces broken, and I have been using a piece of fabric and a tension rod to cover it up during nap time to darken the room.
I would like to have the blinds replaced. Can I consider this 100% childcare expense since the childcare kids broke them, or do I have to use the time space percentage since it is part of the house?

TomCopeland 08-21-2018 09:43 AM

damaged blinds

Originally Posted by HappyHeartsChildCare:
Over the years, my vertical blinds have been damaged by the childcare kids. Right now, there are 8 pieces broken, and I have been using a piece of fabric and a tension rod to cover it up during nap time to darken the room.
I would like to have the blinds replaced. Can I consider this 100% childcare expense since the childcare kids broke them, or do I have to use the time space percentage since it is part of the house?

I'd deduct your time-space% of the cost of the blinds because the damage was caused over a long period of time. If they were broken all at once, I'd deduct 100% of the cost. There is no written rule on this point, but that's my opinion.

Josiegirl 08-22-2018 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
I'd deduct your time-space% of the cost of the blinds because the damage was caused over a long period of time. If they were broken all at once, I'd deduct 100% of the cost. There is no written rule on this point, but that's my opinion.

I'd like to respectfully bring my opinion into this. :o
That hardly seems fair due to the fact it was destruction by the dcks, that caused need for replacement. I have 2 fan lights that have gotten broken this year, by the dcks, and 1 light that simply stopped working. I will be claiming 100% on the 2 broken fan/lights but not the 3rd light. The fan/lights did not get broken at the same time but over the course of the summer. I've had windows broken by different dcks at different times and I claimed 100% on those also.
JMO

TomCopeland 08-22-2018 09:42 AM

damage

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'd like to respectfully bring my opinion into this. :o
That hardly seems fair due to the fact it was destruction by the dcks, that caused need for replacement. I have 2 fan lights that have gotten broken this year, by the dcks, and 1 light that simply stopped working. I will be claiming 100% on the 2 broken fan/lights but not the 3rd light. The fan/lights did not get broken at the same time but over the course of the summer. I've had windows broken by different dcks at different times and I claimed 100% on those also.
JMO

You essentially agree with me. Damage directly caused by children (broken windows, fan lights) can be 100% deducted. Wear and tear over the years, I would argue is not 100% business, because you are getting personal use out it as well and some of the wear and tear is personal. Just my opinion.