Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parents and Guardians Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   First Day of Kindergarten, Am I Overreacting? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83483)

Unregistered 07-20-2016 10:49 PM

First Day of Kindergarten, Am I Overreacting?

My son had his first day of kindergarten today, I got a great vibe from his teacher and the school in general until I picked him up.

Lunch boxes are kept in a basket outside the classroom door. I placed his there at drop off. At pick up it was not there. His teacher was busy releasing kids and unable to say much about it. We found it in another kindergarten classes basket, untouched. Found out later he'd bought lunch (they keep track). I'm glad he had something but I don't know what happened that he didn't get his lunch and I didn't feel like anyone gave a crap. Did no one notice the extra lunchbox? His name was on it. He's five and it's his first day, they should be looking out for them more.
Its so different than his preschool. Otherwise his day was good.
But maybe I am overreacting. He's my only child.

Play Care 07-21-2016 03:59 AM

Welcome to "free" school! :ouch:

We found out a month after the fact that my older child was buying breakfast every morning at school, even though we give her a healthy breakfast at home (but the Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs they get away with serving in public school were too much for a 5 year old to resist...) and she wasn't signed up for breakfast.

It's not that the don't care, per se, it's just not their job to monitor those things (or so I've been told :rolleyes: )

You can call/email his teacher and she will do her best to make sure it doesn't happen again, but be aware that there will not be the guarentee that there would if this was preschool/daycare. :(

Thriftylady 07-21-2016 04:52 AM

Well it could be that the first day was hectic. But it could be something more. You just don't know! I agree with emailing the teacher.

I also agree with the school breakfast thing. All of my daycare kids eat a healthy breakfast here and then go to school and get sugar cereal and pop tarts. I have told the parents, but it seems that if the kids get in line for breakfast they are fed it.

laundrymom 07-21-2016 05:48 AM

I would focus more on teaching son to do what is expected. In a perfect world a teacher would have time to ensure it but, as a kindergartner, this is a skill he needs.
Work with him on knowing his lunch plans. Remembering his lunch plans. And carrying out his lunch plans.
If he will be bringing his lunch every day make sure he knows not to get in lunch line.
It could be that in the craze of first day jitters he just forgot. Or got scared. Or was intimidated to speak up.
I'm sure that a few days of practice will have him acting like a pro.
Just keep instilling in him the skills and confidence to speak up for his needs and practice remembering his lunch plan.

spinnymarie 07-21-2016 06:56 AM

As a former K teacher, I can say this has happened in my class. Especially if the lunch somehow ended up not in our basket - I took the kids to lunch every day and for the first few weeks I got them sat down and eating and if someone couldn't find their lunch box I would assume they forgot they were supposed to eat hot lunch or forgot to bring it at all. And the lunches were often accidentally put back in the wrong basket. Lunch can be chaotic. But they get the hang of it. :) Email his teacher, she can help him remember what to do at lunch time.

MrsSteinel'sHouse 07-21-2016 08:38 AM

I just have to ask- 1st day of kinder in JULY? where are you??? So much for fall back to school.

daycarediva 07-21-2016 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would focus more on teaching son to do what is expected. In a perfect world a teacher would have time to ensure it but, as a kindergartner, this is a skill he needs.
Work with him on knowing his lunch plans. Remembering his lunch plans. And carrying out his lunch plans.
If he will be bringing his lunch every day make sure he knows not to get in lunch line.
It could be that in the craze of first day jitters he just forgot. Or got scared. Or was intimidated to speak up.
I'm sure that a few days of practice will have him acting like a pro.
Just keep instilling in him the skills and confidence to speak up for his needs and practice remembering his lunch plan.

likethis

"Mrs. Kindergarten teacher, I can't find my lunch box. Can you help me?"

role play it with him.

The first day is ALWAYS hectic, kindergarten is not the kindy of old, ours K here is 25:1 ratio. There is NO WAY I could keep track of 25 lunch boxes, or even who is supposed to buy/bring and where their belongings went to.

IF I emailed the teacher it would be to say "mychild's lunchbox was in another classroom's basket untouched. He bought school lunch yesterday. We are working on being responsible and remembering to place it in the correct space and get it for lunch time. If you could give him a reminder to enforce it at school as well, it would be very helpful!"

I wouldn't start off the year with what the teacher will most likely view as a complaint.

He was fed and happy, that's what counts in the end. kwim?

Blackcat31 07-21-2016 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I just have to ask- 1st day of kinder in JULY? where are you??? So much for fall back to school.

I know there are some schools in California that started school this week.

The kids here in my state don't start until after Labor Day.

Josiegirl 07-21-2016 09:53 AM

My head hurts just thinking of how chaotic it must be until routine is learned. I wouldn't give much thought to a small mistake like that and agree with posters who suggested your child learn how to handle an issue like that. It'll take time to feel comfortable in a new environment with much noise and confusion. Same for teachers who have to adapt to a new crew of personalities, names, etc.

Unregistered 08-07-2016 03:54 PM

Teachers here walk the kids to the cafeteria and drop them off at the table and head immediately to the teachers lounge for lunch. It is up to the aides in the cafeteria to see that the kids are eating, cleaning up and placing their lunch boxes into the correct tubs to be returned back to the classroom.

Annalee 08-07-2016 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I know there are some schools in California that started school this week.

The kids here in my state don't start until after Labor Day.

School started here Aug 5.....not sure why they started on a Friday....crazy:confused:

Lovisa 08-08-2016 06:28 AM

Many kids in kinder have never been to school before, so things are crazy until they all learn the routine. Teacher needs time to get to know his/her new kiddos and get a routine down too. If this is still happening in a few weeks, I would be irritated. But if that is ALL that happened on the first day, I'd say that was a successful first day lol.

LysesKids 08-08-2016 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:

I don't know about OP, but I'm in a year round school district and our kids went back on July 25... It really is a little crazy because most my clients come from out of the district & so are on a totally different schedule except major holidays