Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'm So Torn! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39086)

wdmmom 12-14-2011 02:06 PM

I'm So Torn!

So my staff assistant gave me notice the Monday after Thanksgiving that she would be quitting. She said she wanted to work through the holidays and give me plenty of time to find a replacement. She said her last day will be the end of January.

I've already noticed her work ethic deteriorate and I promptly started advertising. I've had about 40 people respond to the ad of which a 5 to interview.

Candidate 1: Seemed nice, has experience in a gym daycare, I could see myself working with this girl. Downfall: She has no GED or HS diploma. I can't find anything in the DHS handbook that says the assistant has to meet any education requirements but I'm not for sure.

Candidate 2: Has in home daycare experience. She ran her own but I asked for documentable experience and since the interview, she hasn't contacted me. So, that's a no-go for me.

Candidate 3: Gave me the WOW factor! She ran her own in-home daycare. She was registered with the state so she can pass the background, she already has her CPR certificate, her mandatory reporter certificate, etc. She's asking for a $1 more an hour than I was looking to pay for. And, having ran her own daycare makes me question whether she'll like how mine is ran, will be ok with my rules, etc.

I don't have the other interviews until next Monday or Tuesday.

This search is making me sick! I'm stressed out that I won't find someone in the time I want to. I'm taking Dec. 23 - Jan. 2 off for the holidays. My original plan was to let my old staff assistant leave early and get someone new in right after the holidays and get them trained. Now I question whether I'll have enough time to do it in.

Candidate 3 has my vote but there are pros and cons to the situation.

Can anyone offer any advice?!

Michael 12-14-2011 02:21 PM

I would have each one of them assist you for a couple hours on different days separately. Pay them for their time and get a feel for which one has the best chemistry.

Blackcat31 12-14-2011 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Michael:
I would have each one of them assist you for a couple hours on different days separately. Pay them for their time and get a feel for which one has the best chemistry.

Excellent idea! I was going to suggest going with your initial gut instincts but this idea is a good one. You can get a chance to see how the kids receive the possible hire and get a good feel for how well you can work with her as well.

Heidi 12-14-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Michael:

good idea. In this economy, you can afford to be picky as an employer.

daycare 12-14-2011 03:50 PM

not only would I have them work a day, i would also require them to give me at least 3 good references, and at least two must be previous employers.

I used to do hiring for my old company and I would always bank on the past employers to give me some good information about them.

wdmmom 12-14-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by daycare:
not only would I have them work a day, i would also require them to give me at least 3 good references, and at least two must be previous employers.

I used to do hiring for my old company and I would always bank on the past employers to give me some good information about them.

Typically I'm a pretty good judge of character. Right now I'm just afraid I'm not going to find the right person.

I'm stressing the heck out about it! There's a lot of information to process and decide. I'm the type to see all the positive attributes they can bring but I fear uncertainty.

cheerfuldom 12-14-2011 06:10 PM

When I interview for my assistant position, I do not consider anyone who is older than me or anyone that has run their own daycare for a long time. I hate to stereotype but normally that scenario brings up power struggles. I would not hire someone who straight out asked for a higher rate before even proving themselves. To me, thats not a good sign and I would rather try out the first one but thats just me. With my assistant, I only want someone who can supervise and play with the kids. They don't do any curriculum or anything else besides just light clean up at the end of the shift so an educated person isn't as necessary for me. As long as they are reliable, honest and energetic, thats good enough for me.

wdmmom 12-14-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
When I interview for my assistant position, I do not consider anyone who is older than me or anyone that has run their own daycare for a long time. I hate to stereotype but normally that scenario brings up power struggles. I would not hire someone who straight out asked for a higher rate before even proving themselves. To me, thats not a good sign and I would rather try out the first one but thats just me. With my assistant, I only want someone who can supervise and play with the kids. They don't do any curriculum or anything else besides just light clean up at the end of the shift so an educated person isn't as necessary for me. As long as they are reliable, honest and energetic, thats good enough for me.

That's where I am with it. My ad was very specific about the job duties, requirements, etc.

I had a few people ask just about the money. I don't even entertain the idea of discussing income with anyone until they tell me what they have to offer.

I had a few that I offered interviews to and I had 2 not show up and a couple that I replied via email and haven't heard anything back.

I've poured my heart and soul into finding the right candidate and I feel like I've come up short.

Meeko 12-14-2011 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by wdmmom:
That's where I am with it. My ad was very specific about the job duties, requirements, etc.

I had a few people ask just about the money. I don't even entertain the idea of discussing income with anyone until they tell me what they have to offer.

I had a few that I offered interviews to and I had 2 not show up and a couple that I replied via email and haven't heard anything back.

I've poured my heart and soul into finding the right candidate and I feel like I've come up short.

She's out there! Hang in there! In the meantime, Michael's idea is the best. Have them each work a while. It'll either click or not and you can confidently keep looking.

Good luck!:)

countrymom 12-15-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

i agree with this too. Um, if these ladies ran their own daycare how come they are not running them anymore, I would be worried that they would try and steal my clients. How about posting at a college, or a school.

wdmmom 12-15-2011 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by countrymom:
i agree with this too. Um, if these ladies ran their own daycare how come they are not running them anymore, I would be worried that they would try and steal my clients. How about posting at a college, or a school.

I'm not the least bit worried about her stealing clients. She lives clear on another side of town. She's young and she opted to go back to school. I think her experience of doing in home daycare consists of working for friends children and working an overnight shift for another family.

I called another girl back for an interview on Monday and I have 2 more to do next week. Either way, one of these girls will be offered a job. :)

I can't keep stressing about it. It's almost Friday and I've only got 5 more working days until my winter break! YAY!