Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spit Up Only At Daycare (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75532)

Unregistered 01-09-2015 09:37 PM

Spit Up Only At Daycare

We just started a new infant this week sweet little angel is breastfed and projectile spits up its gross. Mom told me she has acid reflux but baby isn't on any medicine for it. Mom asked me to pace feed so we do that but baby gets to much air being fed that way. I told mom today that I wouldn't leave this untreated as it can damage her esophagus. Tonight she sent me a video of pace feeding. Seriously I know how to feed a baby! Any suggestions on things I can do to help this baby???

Ariana 01-10-2015 06:16 AM

How often is she feeding and how old is she? I used to feed my 3 month old every 2 hours and she would barf...then I started feeding her every 3 hours and it went away. Might be worth a try. She might just be getting too much too soon.

Unregistered 01-10-2015 10:40 AM

2 months old 2 oz every two hours but she still seems hungry after a feeding. Mom says she doesn't spit up when she drinks from the breast only from a bottle at daycare which I find hard to believe. She hasn't pooped this week either not sure if that s normal or not.

AuntTami 01-10-2015 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
2 months old 2 oz every two hours but she still seems hungry after a feeding. Mom says she doesn't spit up when she drinks from the breast only from a bottle at daycare which I find hard to believe. She hasn't pooped this week either not sure if that s normal or not.

Do you have the right size nipple for her? A fast flow nipple is probably way too fast for her and may be the cause? She seems hungry after because she's puking it all back up.

She hasn't pooped all week?! Today is Saturday. She should poop AT LEAST every other day, if not at least once a day! There's something wrong if she's gone that long without pooping! Are you sure she's not just pooping at home and making your life easier?!

Controlled Chaos 01-10-2015 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Do you have the right size nipple for her? A fast flow nipple is probably way too fast for her and may be the cause? She seems hungry after because she's puking it all back up.

She hasn't pooped all week?! Today is Saturday. She should poop AT LEAST every other day, if not at least once a day! There's something wrong if she's gone that long without pooping! Are you sure she's not just pooping at home and making your life easier?!

I wouldn't worry about the pooping. Breastfed babies vary a ton on how often they have a bm. My dd often went once a week at that age, not a big deal.

I would try different flow nipple and ask for a Dr. Note on the reflux.

AuntTami 01-10-2015 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I wouldn't worry about the pooping. Breastfed babies vary a ton on how often they have a bm. My dd often went once a week at that age, not a big deal.

I would try different flow nipple and ask for a Dr. Note on the reflux.

SERIOUSLY!? :-O I can't imagine how bad my tummy would hurt after five days! :(

itlw8 01-10-2015 07:13 PM

It is possible the baby only spits up when it is a bottle not breast So why did they not figure this out before ? They need to find the correct bottle and nipple and position to help baby. or see about reflux meds unless she is going to come nurse for every feeding

itlw8 01-10-2015 07:31 PM

I watched the paced feeding video. while some of it made sense parts made me wince. first I have cared for many babies over the years and the bottle fed babies were not obese at 12 months. nor did I nurse my boys sitting in an upright position they were cradled in my arms in about the same position I hold bottle fed babies. And who lays babies flat on their back to feed a bottle ?? for me the bottom is in my lap with my arm underneath and the head in at the elbow which I prefer on the arm of a chair or a bit higher but not sitting up even with my shoulder heck m boob was not up that high when I BF

Controlled Chaos 01-10-2015 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by AuntTami:
SERIOUSLY!? :-O I can't imagine how bad my tummy would hurt after five days! :(

She wasn't uncomfortable or hurting. It has to do with when breastfeeding the babies drink exactly as much as they need, and sometimes that means their bodies just soak up all the nutrients and there is nothing left over :) Both my girls were like that. My son on the other hand was a celebrated pooper :lol::D

Learning Daycare 01-11-2015 12:27 PM

Too much milk?

My best friend thought her son had acid reflux as well. He used to throw up everything after a bottle. It turned out she had been feeding him too much. :rolleyes: It seems crazy that it took her a whole year to find that out. It could be the same issue. Try to feed one ounce an hour or other alternatives. I hope you can find a solution that works.

mamamanda 01-12-2015 05:29 AM

Breastmilk has very little in it that isn't used for the nutrients. That's why they don't poop often. My little one poops once or twice a week. Dr. says he can go as long as 10 days before I should get concerned. Breastmilk is pretty much straight nutrients so there's no "leftover" to pass. The spitting up should in theory get better as baby's digestive tract & esophagus mature. Slow flow bottle should help. Breastfed babies really do spit up less at the breast than from a bottle as weird as that sounds. However, if its projectile & often she should see her dr. Just to be safe.

Unregistered 01-12-2015 07:34 AM

It sounds like you might want to try a slower nipple. Also, it may be in part due to new surroundings. My 4 month old rarely spits up, but spit up every feeding while at my in-laws for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Even though I watch up to 6 children in my home, it was a completely new environment, new smells, sights and sounds (much louder than our home). She started to adjust by the end of the weekend, and wasn't spitting up as much. Anyways, I wanted to suggest that time may help some too as baby gets used to you and her surroundings. Good luck!