Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Have You Changed From a 5 day Week to a 4 day Week? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79724)

mommiebookworm 10-19-2015 01:12 PM

Have You Changed From a 5 day Week to a 4 day Week?

I'm considering changing from Mon-Fri schedule to a Mon-Thurs schedule. My daughter's do not have school on Fridays. And the school age kids are becoming more unruly.
Have you done this? Any advice?
I'm guessing I would lose 1 full-time kid, and 2 school agers over this.

Crazy Baby 10-19-2015 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
I'm considering changing from Mon-Fri schedule to a Mon-Thurs schedule. My daughter's do not have school on Fridays. And the school age kids are becoming more unruly.
Have you done this? Any advice?
I'm guessing I would lose 1 full-time kid, and 2 school agers over this.

I started off doing Monday-Thursdays because it just worked out with the parents. My husband is off on Fridays and I would prefer to be off too. About a year ago, I took on a full timer who was needing care on Fridays but has worked with me to give me some Fridays off.

I absolutely love doing Mon-Thurs. The only thing is that it will be harder to find new clients if you need to bring more kids in.

I personally feel like the 5 day daycare week is a little much for me. I can do it, yes, but I start feeling very burnt out after a few of those weeks in a row. A 4 day work week, especially when children are your profession, is easier on your health.

Josiegirl 10-19-2015 02:14 PM

OMG if you can afford to do it then by all means go for it!!! I've known 2 dcps that worked M-Th and they loved it. I am green with envy, it's something I've always wanted to do.
Just wanted to add that your dd won't stay young forever, do it now and you can always go back to 5 days a week some day down the road.

Janiam 10-19-2015 02:25 PM

That would be my dream schedue! I know another provider who did it for a couple years before she retired and it worked really well for her.

Crazy8 10-19-2015 02:38 PM

Yes, I did it last November and LOVE every second of it!!!! I say I'll go back to M-F if I have to (if I need clients) but I hope it never happens. I never even thought of taking Fridays off until the mom of the only 2 kids I had on fridays came in one day and said she was quitting her job and giving her 2 week notice. Long story short she negotiated with her boss that she would work a 4 day week, M-Th. She came back and said she wasn't leaving AND she wanted to keep kids here all week still. I took the chance of losing them at that point (was already starting to interview anyway) and told her no, for the first time in 14 years I was going to take the break and go down to a 4 day schedule. Ball was in her court to stay and spend that day with her kids (which she initially claimed was her reason for quitting her job) or finding new care. They stayed. Since then I've only had one opening and filled it with a M-Th child - mom works full time but as a single parent really couldn't afford full time care her mom watches the child on Fridays. Worked well for both of us! When I wrote up a rate sheet I made a rate for "M-Th" instead of listing it as a 4 day/week rate.

Unregistered 10-19-2015 03:28 PM

Yes, this will be my 2nd year with a M-Thur schedule. I switched a couple of years ago when I started feeling burnt out and started having health problems due to stress and being burnt out. It was either closed completely or take Fridays off. To lessen the "impact" on families since I was also raising my rates and shortening my hours at the same time, I decided to not close for most of the federal/state holidays. I still take Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, two weeks winter break, and one week either spring or summer break, and a couple federal holidays in between my breaks, plus 6 days personal/sick days all paid. Luckily I have families that are able to juggle their work schedule, are sahm/sahd, work from home, or have someone else watch their child on Fridays. I will never go back to a 5 day work schedule.

mommiebookworm 10-19-2015 04:44 PM

Thanks for the insight everyone! I'm definitely leaning towards the 4 day schedule.

nothingwithoutjoy 10-19-2015 05:45 PM

Another vote for yes! Best thing I ever did.

I made the change at the change of a school year. One child left for kindergarten, opening up enough spots that I could move all the Friday kids to another day in the week (for some reason, I had all part-time kids, and rarely get calls for full time, though that would have been my preference). The parents' schedules were flexible enough that it worked out ok; everyone still had the same number of days per week they'd had before. I also gave the parents tons of notice; I planned the change to happen in September, and I told them as soon as I'd decided (April, or something like that). Gave them lots of time to work out their schedules.

e.j. 10-19-2015 05:48 PM

I used to work M-Th and loved it! I was able to get so much done with that extra day. I only went back to working Fridays last year because one of my families asked if I would consider it. I love the kids I watch on Fridays and don't regret adding the extra day but I plan to go back to a M-Th schedule once they age out - as long as I can afford it financially at that point. I miss having a day to do my laundry, housework, go to dr and dentist appointments, etc.

LindseyA 10-20-2015 07:23 AM

I technically work m-f but I take off the last friday of every month for appts (me & kids doc, dentist, eye, etc) and that has helped tremendously! I know exactly when to schedule appts without worrying about the dcps. I have extra time after appts for laundry, cleaning, and get a head start on weekend stuff :) In my rural area, I cannot take every friday off. One a month is good with me!

Play Care 10-20-2015 07:31 AM

I do in July and August and love it. Since I have mostly teachers kids and we have a M-F school schedule I don't Sept- June.