Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Christmas get together? ideas? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79706)

Ariana 10-16-2015 10:25 AM

Christmas get together? ideas?

I know a lot of you do something a little special for your families during Christmas and I was wondering if you could help me with some ideas. I have 3 (possibly 4) families that are part-time and I was thinking about just doing a little Christmas "drop in" on the last day of care before my vacation. I thought I would serve hot chocolate and some goodies.

What do you think? what do you all do? Any ideas?

Annalee 10-16-2015 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ariana:
I know a lot of you do something a little special for your families during Christmas and I was wondering if you could help me with some ideas. I have 3 (possibly 4) families that are part-time and I was thinking about just doing a little Christmas "drop in" on the last day of care before my vacation. I thought I would serve hot chocolate and some goodies.

Sometimes we have doughnuts/coffee, honeybun/juice, or sometimes we have made a platter of homemade candy for parents. Just kind of an appreciation thing! :)

Blackcat31 10-16-2015 10:46 AM

You could have a little "decorate and take" station set up.
(Unfrosted sugar cookies and a bunch of fun decorating items)

A table with photos arranged to show your DCF's what life at daycare is like when the parents are off working.

Pin the red nose on Rudolph activity planned

A Candy Cane hunt game

A "Guess how many bows/ribbons are in the jar" guessing game

Hire a Santa to come read the "Night Before Christmas"

AnythingsPossible 10-16-2015 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You could have a little "decorate and take" station set up.
(Unfrosted sugar cookies and a bunch of fun decorating items)

A table with photos arranged to show your DCF's what life at daycare is like when the parents are off working.

Pin the red nose on Rudolph activity planned

A Candy Cane hunt game

A "Guess how many bows/ribbons are in the jar" guessing game

Hire a Santa to come read the "Night Before Christmas"

I really like the cookie frosting idea and the guessing game. I am thinking with the guessing game you could have them win a pizza card to a local pizza shop or something along those lines.

For my group this year, I was thinking of doing an extended evening the 18th of December as I will be closed the next week. Parents can pick up later and have and evening out and we will do dinner, movie and craft with kids.

I have found with having part time people come on a different day, you either end up having to charge them or not charge anyone for the day. At the holidays I can't afford to give a day of care away to all my families.

Controlled Chaos 10-16-2015 12:08 PM

I do a 4 hours "PJ party" the 3rd Saturday of the month. I take the kids from 4pm-8pm for just $20 and it allows parents to get their Christmas/Santa shopping done. Families have been very appreciative in the past. I usually break even on the party after treats, crafts etc but its fun and pretty easy. I also give parents a spray bottle of Shout stain remover as a gift since we get MESSY here :D

Ariana 10-16-2015 12:21 PM

Wonderful ideas everyone!! I especially like the idea of Santa coming to read a story.

Unregistered 10-16-2015 03:04 PM

I do a potluck gathering with current and past families. I found a lot of my current families are from referrals from past families so this is a way for me to also thank them for spreading positive words about my daycare. Depending on the ages of children coming, I have had jumping castles, magicians, gymnastics, or sing-a-long entertainment. Sometimes I have a simple activity like decorating cookies or a simple art activity to do before the entertainment arrives. The families bring different food to share. It has been a hit every year. I usually do it on a weekend before I go on my winter break. It sounds like a lot of work, but it is not, I like simple and easy (I don't even decorate, just set up tables & chairs), and the families know they are completely responsible for their child the entire time.

Josiegirl 10-16-2015 04:10 PM

Wonderful ideas everyone!! I especially like the idea of Santa coming to read a story.

This is what I did last year. I asked parents if they could come a little before 3:00; that's when Santa was scheduled to arrive. He came, handed out candy canes and a present for each child(I had secretly hid a big bag of wrapped gifts outside before he arrived), then read Twas The Night Before Christmas to the kids, followed by lots of pictures. After he left we had fruit/cheese tray, punch and cookies. Everyone was gone by 5 or so.
Short, sweet, simple and the dcfs seemed to like it too.
I loathe get-togethers. Well, not so much the event itself, the anticipation makes me a nervous wreck and I second-guess every single thing I should or shouldn't do. :(
I kind of like the idea of offering to take the kids for an afternoon some weekend close to Christmas, turn it into a party for the kids. Not sure though.

LysesKids 10-16-2015 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I do a potluck gathering with current and past families. I found a lot of my current families are from referrals from past families so this is a way for me to also thank them for spreading positive words about my daycare. Depending on the ages of children coming, I have had jumping castles, magicians, gymnastics, or sing-a-long entertainment. Sometimes I have a simple activity like decorating cookies or a simple art activity to do before the entertainment arrives. The families bring different food to share. It has been a hit every year. I usually do it on a weekend before I go on my winter break. It sounds like a lot of work, but it is not, I like simple and easy (I don't even decorate, just set up tables & chairs), and the families know they are completely responsible for their child the entire time.

I do the same only it's a 3 hr open house the 2nd Sunday in December every year; it's my thank you for using me to all the families ( FT/PT & Drop-ins). I offer a buffet of fix your own sandwiches, chips/dip, fruit/veggie platter & desserts. Cold beverages are on ice in a cooler lol. This is also when I give out the homemade gifts to the babies. My house is decorated no differently than regular Holiday stuff

Ariana 10-16-2015 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
This is what I did last year. I asked parents if they could come a little before 3:00; that's when Santa was scheduled to arrive. He came, handed out candy canes and a present for each child(I had secretly hid a big bag of wrapped gifts outside before he arrived), then read Twas The Night Before Christmas to the kids, followed by lots of pictures. After he left we had fruit/cheese tray, punch and cookies. Everyone was gone by 5 or so.
Short, sweet, simple and the dcfs seemed to like it too.
I loathe get-togethers. Well, not so much the event itself, the anticipation makes me a nervous wreck and I second-guess every single thing I should or shouldn't do. :(
I kind of like the idea of offering to take the kids for an afternoon some weekend close to Christmas, turn it into a party for the kids. Not sure though.

How did the kids do with Santa? I don't want them crying in fear :D I was also thinking about having a face painter but the kids are 2.5, 2, 20 months and 18 months....not sure they'd sit still.

Josiegirl 10-16-2015 04:48 PM

With Santa, they were really hesitant about sitting on his lap until my cute-as-a-button 3 yo dcg walked right up and sat with him. Since she survived ;) most of the others dared as well. Nobody was forced and all the parents were right there with them. Plus candy canes were involved. :)