Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parents and Guardians Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Not Allowed To See Video Footage In Daycare? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65012)

chigem 09-10-2013 08:08 AM

Not Allowed To See Video Footage In Daycare?

So, my son has been in daycare for 6 months and has been having "accidents" for the past 6 months! I swear, they call me at least once a month with a new accident that he has had, and a an incident report to sign. I know they have cameras in the room but I was told that they do not record, and do not have playback on them. They are just a live feed. So I asked them if the parents can have access to this and they said no, its for in office use only! Now, I wouldn't have a problem with this if his accidents weren't always a bump to his facial area and head. But they are. And I have called corporate who doesn't care about what I'm saying. Is there a state agency I can contact in order to look further into this?

Cat Herder 09-10-2013 08:19 AM

*In general* the cameras are for the director to monitor ADULT activities and are not for parental use. If corporate agrees with your director, then I'd assume they feel confident *legal* rights are on their side and they have the financial ability to back it up.

Each state has a childcare licensing division, some under the dept of education umbrella. I'd recommend checking your states website.

***Be aware, though, that minor injuries are expected in toddler/preschool rooms in LARGE GROUP childcare. You may not get quite the response you are expecting. Copies of those boo-boo reports are already monitored by the state agency as a matter of routine.

If you truly feel your child is not safe there, it is your responsibility to not take him back. If you are instead asking for special care, in a large group setting, your request may be rewarded with a termination of care.

(*I wanted you to have a bit of background, before you proceed... I have been on both sides of this door. ;) )

ihop 09-10-2013 08:55 AM

No advice here... but, I have cameras in my home daycare and parents are always free to review them of they have good reason, such as a kiddo getting hurt.

I'm not doing anything wrong so I don't mind.
However, if it's a regular thing I do start to feel spied on and will put my foot down.

Blackcat31 09-10-2013 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
*In general* the cameras are for the director to monitor ADULT activities and are not for parental use. If corporate agrees with your director, then I'd assume they feel confident *legal* rights are on their side and they have the financial ability to back it up.

Each state has a childcare licensing division, some under the dept of education umbrella. I'd recommend checking your states website.

***Be aware, though, that minor injuries are expected in toddler/preschool rooms in LARGE GROUP childcare. You may not get quite the response you are expecting. Copies of those boo-boo reports are already monitored by the state agency as a matter of routine.

If you truly feel your child is not safe there, it is your responsibility to not take him back. If you are instead asking for special care, in a large group setting, your request may be rewarded with a termination of care.

(*I wanted you to have a bit of background, before you proceed... I have been on both sides of this door. ;) )

likethis likethis

It is also a potential confidentiality issue to allow parents to view a recording of their child if other children/families are present on the footage.

Lavender 09-10-2013 01:10 PM

In my classroom, bumps to the head are the most common injury. These kids are just learning mastery of their own bodies. Add to that an active environment and lots of other kids also learning mastery of their bodies and accidents happen. I think several of my kids probably average an accident report a month. We fill them out for everything if it leaves any sort of mark. This is usually not something even remotely serious.

The center I work in will not use cameras because of the concerns that arise from allowing adults access to seeing other people's children. I'm sure that is why the center will not allow you to see it. It just is not okay.

I'm sorry you have concerns about your care situation. If you are not happy then you should look into choosing a new one.

Familycare71 09-10-2013 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
likethis likethis

It is also a potential confidentiality issue to allow parents to view a recording of their child if other children/families are present on the footage.

likethis

I would not be ok with someone else watching my child via video without prior knowledge...
I would say of you feel you need to see a video because you question the "real" reason for injuries it is time to find new care!

grandmom 09-10-2013 03:29 PM

You didn't say how old your son was. I'm guessing under 3. If these injuries are in the areas common to children this age, I'd have no concerns. Their heads are too heavy for their necks and the head often hits first. Heads, arms and shins are all common.

I'd encourage you to think about body language of the adult presenting you with the form to sign. If they seem upfront, calm, etc., then sign it and move on. Children get hurt.

If we keep them too safe at this age, they never learn to take risks. Then when they are older and want to take a risk, they don't know their own limits and will get hurt more severely. For this reason, I "celebrate" small injuries as a way of knowing that the child is working at their developmental stage and just beyond.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned if a child never got hurt.

Familycare71 09-10-2013 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by grandmom:
You didn't say how old your son was. I'm guessing under 3. If these injuries are in the areas common to children this age, I'd have no concerns. Their heads are too heavy for their necks and the head often hits first. Heads, arms and shins are all common.

I'd encourage you to think about body language of the adult presenting you with the form to sign. If they seem upfront, calm, etc., then sign it and move on. Children get hurt.

If we keep them too safe at this age, they never learn to take risks. Then when they are older and want to take a risk, they don't know their own limits and will get hurt more severely. For this reason, I "celebrate" small injuries as a way of knowing that the child is working at their developmental stage and just beyond.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned if a child never got hurt.

likethis

chigem 09-11-2013 05:07 AM

Thank you all for your input! My son is going on 4 in December and is my only child. This was his first year at daycare, so I'm pretty protective of him. I do understand that he will get injured sometimes but....maybe you all are right. I still dont feel right with him there, so I might have to just find a part time job and keep him myself. I love his regular teacher though, its just that morning crew that bugs me. I also mentioned the camera feed because I know of other daycares that use them wi th the parents and it seems like a good idea. I know some ofyou are against them, but if you ke up with the news lately, you will see the stories about these kids in these daycare centers being mistreated by the ones watching them as well as other kids. So even though you think they're safe, they might not be. But, I say that to say, thank you all again for your honest replies, I wish you all well! :-)

Thriftylady 03-03-2016 05:13 AM

Man the pot stirrers are in full force today aren't they? Always "unregistered" also! LOL.

Laurel 03-03-2016 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Man the pot stirrers are in full force today aren't they? Always "unregistered" also! LOL.

I noticed that. Pulling up a lot of old posts and all about children being hurt. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thriftylady 03-03-2016 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Laurel:
I noticed that. Pulling up a lot of old posts and all about children being hurt. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Looks like it has stopped. Must not be many threads about hurt children!

Blackcat31 03-03-2016 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Looks like it has stopped. Must not be many threads about hurt children!

I blocked them.

Thriftylady 03-03-2016 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I blocked them.

That works too!

MunchkinWrangler 03-15-2016 11:04 AM

That is a typical mishap with that age. Learning to crawl and such can do that. It's not a supervision issue either because I've had many a baby that I was sitting right next to klunk their head. Talk to your pediatrician, it's common and won't hurt them.

MunchkinWrangler 03-15-2016 11:07 AM

Crap, I responded without looking at dates. UGH!!!