Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Good Book Recommendations (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68086)

My3cents 01-17-2014 11:15 AM

Good Book Recommendations

What are some good book recommendations for 2014?

I need something that will keep me wanting to turn the page to see what is next. I tend to start a book and not finish it:confused:

I will hit up all genres this time around?

A good must read book from last year maybe?

Blackcat31 01-17-2014 12:13 PM

HUGE fan of Janet Evanovich....LAUGH outloud funny!!

Her series are numbered and her 20th one is out now. I think it's called Takedown Twenty.

Easy reading but can't put it down until I am through.

Stephen King's last one was AWESOME! Totally worth the read if you are a fan.

I also read a lot of true crime and legal/mysteries. I can recommend some good authors if you are into those kinds of books.

Otherwise, my good read right now is called "Slouching Towards Adulthood" by Sally Koslow

It's about why so many "kids" don't leave home even after turning 30 etc.... it's funny and insightful.

Bookworm 01-17-2014 02:49 PM

Try Carolyn Haines' "Bones"series featuring Sarah Booth Delaney. They are hilarious.

AfterSchoolMom 01-17-2014 05:17 PM

The Headlines in Heels mysteries by LynDee Walker - Front Page Fatality and Buried Leads (the third one is set to come out soon).

Long Time Coming by Edie Claire - this one kept me up until 3am!

The Inn Boonsboro trilogy by Nora Roberts - The Next Always, The Last Boyfriend, and The Perfect Hope

momofboys 01-20-2014 06:28 PM

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

My3cents 01-21-2014 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
HUGE fan of Janet Evanovich....LAUGH outloud funny!!What are these books about, I have seen them but never ventured beyond that?

Her series are numbered and her 20th one is out now. I think it's called Takedown Twenty.

Stephen King's last one was AWESOME! Totally worth the read if you are a fan. his stuff would keep me awake

I also read a lot of true crime and legal/mysteries. I can recommend some good authors if you are into those kinds of books. I like these type of books.

Otherwise, my good read right now is called "Slouching Towards Adulthood" by Sally Koslow

It's about why so many "kids" don't leave home even after turning 30 etc.... it's funny and insightful.

because they can't afford to leave home.......lol and why rock the boat when you have it good at home.....lol

Thanks BC. I responded in bold above.

I don't care for thriller gore but I do like true crime. I really have to push myself to read. I read a ton on the internet but to do a whole novel I have good intentions that sizzle.

Blackcat31 01-21-2014 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by My3cents:
because they can't afford to leave home.......lol and why rock the boat when you have it good at home.....lol

Thanks BC. I responded in bold above.

I don't care for thriller gore but I do like true crime. I really have to push myself to read. I read a ton on the internet but to do a whole novel I have good intentions that sizzle.

Janet Evanovich's books are about a gal that was working in the retail industry but goes to work as a bounty hunter for her uncle. Let's just say she is NOT very good at it and trouble finds her EVERY where she goes. She has a rag tag team of co-workers that are a hoot! (Here is her site http://www.evanovich.com/)

The true crime books I read and love are by Ann Rule. Super good writer. Ex-Seattle detective that worked side by side with Ted Bundy while he was at his "busiest" and all the while Ann had no clue what he was up too.... She writes about some really high profile cases that happen near Seattle and across both Oregon and Washington areas.

She has a way of drawing you into the story on a personal level. She writes both full length novels about cases and a few collections of short stories.
ALL are good and worth the read though. :)

Here is her site http://authorannrule.com/

BrooklynM 01-21-2014 03:11 PM

If you want a super easy fun read (I read it on a 4 hour plane ride and literally was laughing outloud like a crazy person), Ellen Degeneres' book- Seriously..I'm kidding is hilarious. It's a great book just to escape from life, nothing deep, just funny!

If I want something deeper/mystery I love Patricia Cornwell's books. Her books are about a female medical examiner and the crimes she investigates. My dad is a Coroner so I love that stuff.

My3cents 01-22-2014 10:28 AM

Janet Evanovich's books are about a gal that was working in the retail industry but goes to work as a bounty hunter for her uncle. Let's just say she is NOT very good at it and trouble finds her EVERY where she goes. She has a rag tag team of co-workers that are a hoot! (Here is her site http://www.evanovich.com/)

The true crime books I read and love are by Ann Rule. Super good writer. Ex-Seattle detective that worked side by side with Ted Bundy while he was at his "busiest" and all the while Ann had no clue what he was up too.... She writes about some really high profile cases that happen near Seattle and across both Oregon and Washington areas.

She has a way of drawing you into the story on a personal level. She writes both full length novels about cases and a few collections of short stories.
ALL are good and worth the read though. :)

Here is her site http://authorannrule.com/

I did read some of these books and they were good! Thank you- The Ann Rule books

Jack Sprat 02-14-2014 01:02 PM

Labor Day - good, kind of cheesy but a very fast read.
The Husbands Secret - loved it, also a fast read

Right now I am reading The Goldfinch. I don't read at nap time as my books are my quite place at night!

Blackcat31 02-14-2014 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
The Husbands Secret - loved it, also a fast read

Oooh, that is on my looooong list of books to read, (eventually when I have time :ouch:).

Was it really good? I might have to download that one sooner than later.
I need an easy read. I don't have a ton of time so something easy to put down and then get back into quickly when I do pick it back up.

NeedaVaca 02-23-2014 11:00 AM

I have read all of Adriana Trigiani's books! Loved them all :)

mountainside13 04-07-2014 06:39 PM

They aren't the newest books but I always HIGHLY recommend The Redemption series by Karen Kingsbury! It is my FAV series and have read them all 5-6 times.

Redemption
Remember
Return
Rejoice
Reunion

Fame
Forgiven
Found
Family
Forever

Sunrise
Summer
Someday
Sunset

Leaving
Learning
Longing
Loving

Awe man, Now I want to read them again ;) They are really good!

Josiegirl 04-09-2014 03:32 AM

I just finished The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin, very good book.

Josiegirl 05-28-2014 02:43 AM

I just finished Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. One of those really good books that you keep begging to turn out the way you want it to but it doesn't. Not your typical 'happily ever after' stories like I always want to see. But definitely worth the read!

NeedaVaca 05-29-2014 12:07 PM

I just finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill-He is Stephen King's son. It's not the kind of book I normally read but someone recommended it and I really liked it. Very dark, kind of disturbing but I will read more of his books. Next for me is Horns.

craftymissbeth 05-29-2014 12:11 PM

Is anyone else using Oyster Books? It's only $10 a month.. it's basically Netflix for books. I'm not sure if brand new books are on there, but I've found some good ones that I'd been wanting to read. It's definitely cut down on my book budget! Right now I'm rereading all of the V.C. Andrews books :o

craftymissbeth 05-29-2014 12:13 PM

Oh, and I just found Stephen King's 11/22/63 which I've been wanting to read happyface

NeedaVaca 05-29-2014 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Is anyone else using Oyster Books? It's only $10 a month.. it's basically Netflix for books. I'm not sure if brand new books are on there, but I've found some good ones that I'd been wanting to read. It's definitely cut down on my book budget! Right now I'm rereading all of the V.C. Andrews books :o

I loved VC Andrews! Have you read them all? I just check out from the library-free:)

craftymissbeth 05-29-2014 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I loved VC Andrews! Have you read them all? I just check out from the library-free:)

She was my favorite author growing up. I've read all of them except the newest ones. I think the ones that were published after she died.

My summer reading goal is to read them all again.

Blackcat31 05-29-2014 01:43 PM

Oh, and I just found Stephen King's 11/22/63 which I've been wanting to read happyface

That was one of THE best books I have ever read!

craftymissbeth 05-29-2014 01:45 PM

That was one of THE best books I have ever read!

I started reading it at nap time and I'm hooked! I've never really read many Stephen King books, but I'm REALLY liking this one. I'm a speed reader so I skim more than I actually read, if that makes sense. He's got me slowing down and paying attention to every detail.

Blackcat31 05-29-2014 02:12 PM

I started reading it at nap time and I'm hooked! I've never really read many Stephen King books, but I'm REALLY liking this one. I'm a speed reader so I skim more than I actually read, if that makes sense. He's got me slowing down and paying attention to every detail.

Oh, yeah...if you are a skimmer you need to stop.

Stephen King is HIGHLY regarded for the details. If you read any more of his books, you will see "little connections" to other books he wrote.

I believe he is a good writer because of those little details....it sucks you in.

When you are done, I can recommend other books of his that are TOTALLY worth reading.....

I just read a "day-reader" (well I call it a day-reader because I can read it in a day) of his called "Joyland".... OMG!....I could NOT put it down and read it in a single afternoon.

My mom is a huge Stephen King fan (even got to meet him) so I've been reading his books since I first learned to read. :)

craftymissbeth 05-29-2014 07:39 PM

Oh, yeah...if you are a skimmer you need to stop.

Stephen King is HIGHLY regarded for the details. If you read any more of his books, you will see "little connections" to other books he wrote.

I believe he is a good writer because of those little details....it sucks you in.

When you are done, I can recommend other books of his that are TOTALLY worth reading.....

I just read a "day-reader" (well I call it a day-reader because I can read it in a day) of his called "Joyland".... OMG!....I could NOT put it down and read it in a single afternoon.

My mom is a huge Stephen King fan (even got to meet him) so I've been reading his books since I first learned to read. :)

I've noticed that he's referred to Shawshank Prison several times already. I'm about a third done with the book. I'm enjoying his writing style!

NeedaVaca 08-15-2014 06:35 AM

Stephen King's last one was AWESOME! Totally worth the read if you are a fan.

I also read a lot of true crime and legal/mysteries. I can recommend some good authors if you are into those kinds of books.

Janet Evanovich - How have I ever not read her before? Thanks! I started with the 1st one on vacation and now I will read them all:)

KidGrind 08-25-2014 02:27 PM

She was my favorite author growing up. I've read all of them except the newest ones. I think the ones that were published after she died.

My summer reading goal is to read them all again.

They don’t have V.C. Andrews touch. I also loved me some Judy Blume.

Anyhow I loved Infidel.

I am now reading I am Nujood, age 10 and Divorced.

AmyLeigh 09-26-2014 10:55 AM

I know this is an older post but I had to say thank you for this recommendation. I have borrowed several of her books on my kindle and am thoroughly enjoying them.

Josiegirl 09-28-2014 03:19 PM

Haven't quite finished it yet but Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is an excellent read with some twists I wasn't expecting.

pippi 11-10-2015 07:54 AM

I'm currently reading "The Business of Child Care" by Gail H Jack, I'm almost done and can recommend it likethis

Josiegirl 11-10-2015 03:56 PM

So glad this topic has been resurrected. :)
Have been reading lots of Kristin Hannah and Harlan Coben this past summer and fall. Coben is a mystery writer and always has twists at the end. Hannah, lots of emotion. Love both those authors!

I'll have to go back and jot down some of these titles. I'm out of good reading material and need to head to the library this weekend.