Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nap time issues 3yr old. WWYD?? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78887)

MamaB'sKidz 08-24-2015 10:31 AM

Nap time issues 3yr old. WWYD??

DCB just turned 3 in June and all the sudden won't take naps. He usually naps everyday from 12:45 to 2:30 and I would usually have to wake him up. We are following the same routine here at daycare and I've talked with mom about any changes at home. She says no changes there. This little guy has some delays and though he's not been officially diagnosed I believe he's on the Autism Spectrum. He's non-verbal but makes lots of sounds and he doesn't respond to directions. For example, if I asked him to play quietly, I don't believe he is able to comprehend. I've tried to keep him occupied in the kitchen while the others sleep but he gets very loud and woke my 2 little ones. Mom doesn't want me to give him naps anymore. She thinks he's outgrowing them. I have other children in care and they all nap. The older ones nap In the playroom and younger ones in the living room. Any ideas?? How would you handle this?

Play Care 08-24-2015 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by MamaB'sKidz:
DCB just turned 3 in June and all the sudden won't take naps. He usually naps everyday from 12:45 to 2:30 and I would usually have to wake him up. We are following the same routine here at daycare and I've talked with mom about any changes at home. She says no changes there. This little guy has some delays and though he's not been officially diagnosed I believe he's on the Autism Spectrum. He's non-verbal but makes lots of sounds and he doesn't respond to directions. For example, if I asked him to play quietly, I don't believe he is able to comprehend. I've tried to keep him occupied in the kitchen while the others sleep but he gets very loud and woke my 2 little ones. Mom doesn't want me to give him naps anymore. She thinks he's outgrowing them. I have other children in care and they all nap. The older ones nap In the playroom and younger ones in the living room. Any ideas?? How would you handle this?

I would not start allowing him "out" of naps/quiet time. "DCM, if Tommy Has outgrown naps, then he has outgrown my care. Is this your two week notice?" All said with a sincere time and a big :D
I simply do not have the space to accommodate non-nappers, and I'm clear about that up front.

childcaremom 08-24-2015 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Play Care:
I would not start allowing him "out" of naps/quiet time. "DCM, if Tommy Has outgrown naps, then he has outgrown my care. Is this your two week notice?" All said with a sincere time and a big :D
I simply do not have the space to accommodate non-nappers, and I'm clear about that up front.

likethis

The more time spent doing this, the more |I agree with above. I don't have space for non-nappers and would be looking for a replacement.

spedmommy4 08-24-2015 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by MamaB'sKidz:

I think I have your dcb twin brother here. :D The one I have here is exactly like you describe. (Low language, probably on the spectrum, suddenly stopped napping) It has taken me forever to troubleshoot the nap problem.

My guy hasn't outgrown naps but he was using misbehavior to avoid naps. He discovered they worked at home and decided to try them out on me. :eek:

It took a good month of a rigid, and I mean rigid, routine to get him napping again.
Specifically, I had to:
Keep him right near me because, if I didnt, as soon as lunch ended he would run around like a wild child.
Sit right next to him every. Single. Day
Darken the nap room with extra sheets.
Put his cot right next to a wall with nothing nearby to touch.
It is tough, and can be a sanity tester. I had his mom come in a few times during the process because I needed a break. Thankfully, she knows he is a tough kid and was willing to pitch in. I have found that very few parents are.

The only other options are giving up nap or terminating services.

MamaB'sKidz 08-24-2015 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Play Care:

Thank you!!! These are the words I was looking for. My brain is so fogged up from stress trying to accommodate this child. I feel like I don't know if I'm coming or going sometimes.

MamaB'sKidz 08-24-2015 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by childcaremom:
likethis

The more time spent doing this, the more |I agree with above. I don't have space for non-nappers and would be looking for a replacement.

likethis thank you.

MamaB'sKidz 08-24-2015 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I think I have your dcb twin brother here. :D The one I have here is exactly like you describe. (Low language, probably on the spectrum, suddenly stopped napping) It has taken me forever to troubleshoot the nap problem.

My guy hasn't outgrown naps but he was using misbehavior to avoid naps. He discovered they worked at home and decided to try them out on me. :eek:

It took a good month of a rigid, and I mean rigid, routine to get him napping again.
Specifically, I had to:
Keep him right near me because, if I didnt, as soon as lunch ended he would run around like a wild child.
Sit right next to him every. Single. Day
Darken the nap room with extra sheets.
Put his cot right next to a wall with nothing nearby to touch.
It is tough, and can be a sanity tester. I had his mom come in a few times during the process because I needed a break. Thankfully, she knows he is a tough kid and was willing to pitch in. I have found that very few parents are.

The only other options are giving up nap or terminating services.

Yes!!! We have the same child! I believe I have done everything you just described except for having the mom come help. She would not be able to do that or may not even want to. I have become so focused on this DCB and his ever so changing ways that it's affecting me, how I run my business and most of all I see a change in all my other children in care. This DCB did so well with my routine when he first started and now I let him do what he wants. If I don't, then it makes for a very bad day for all. Once he gets upset it takes anywhere from 10min to sometimes an hour to calm him back down.