Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fire Drills (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69234)

Unregistered 03-03-2014 09:57 AM

Fire Drills
 
This might be a silly question regarding required monthly fire evacuation drills but am I supposed to get all the kids' coats/winter gear on (we've been lucky if it reaches 10 degrees this winter) and their shoes on during the drill? The form says the maximum amount of time it should take is 2 minutes. I just don't see how I could get them out in 2 minutes if I have to get them all ready to go outside (not to mention having to carry 4 out of the 5 kids downstairs). I know in a real fire emergency I may not have time to put their coats on, but it's just so cold outside this winter not to have coats on.

drseuss 03-03-2014 10:18 AM

You are supposed to practice evacuating the home as if there were really a fire. They need to associate the sound of the smoke alarm with the idea of making a quick exit. I know what you are getting at, as I live in a cold climate, too. But, no, you don't stop to get them all ready to go out. You whoosh them out, and whoosh them back in just as quickly. Then give them hot chocolate. :)

daycarediva 03-03-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drseuss (Post 439186)
You are supposed to practice evacuating the home as if there were really a fire. They need to associate the sound of the smoke alarm with the idea of making a quick exit. I know what you are getting at, as I live in a cold climate, too. But, no, you don't stop to get them all ready to go out. You whoosh them out, and whoosh them back in just as quickly. Then give them hot chocolate. :)

I cant give them hot chocolate here! (per regs!)


Yup, the older kids are now 'onto' me with drills, as I get the front porch/back deck shoveled off REALLY WELL and then put a cheap area rug or towel over it to protect their little toes. We go right out, and come right back in. THEN we discuss what we would do in a REAL FIRE. If the weather is good, we do a full get out and stay out, go to the meeting place, stay there until it's all clear (I have dh yell "ALL CLEAR!" from a window)

lovemykidstoo 03-03-2014 10:41 AM

I'm in Michigan and my consultant said to do the drill and have them go to the door/window that they're using and have them open it, but they don't actually have to go outside if the weather is hazardous.

Blackcat31 03-03-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daycarediva (Post 439188)
I cant give them hot chocolate here! (per regs!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:



As for the fire drills, we just run out and right back in again.

Cat Herder 03-03-2014 10:51 AM

I tend to grab the coats and toss them into the evacuation crib with the non-slow walkers and "go book". They are all right at the exit. ;)

It would be mass hysteria if I made them go right back inside after a drill, here. :p I do a normal transition time activity (one game of leap frog, foot race, puddle jumping, anything I can come up with) outside before coming back in. :D

melilley 03-03-2014 10:51 AM

We just run out the front door and onto the porch in the winter. The kids all know to run to the "baby" tree in my front yard..they talk about it all the time!

Leanna 03-03-2014 11:24 AM

In the winter months we will often have drills just as we are finishing getting ready to go outside. This way almost everyone is suited up and we do the whole meeting place, attendance, etc. I usually discuss with mine each and every time why we practice and quiz them on the procedure. (Do we run? Do we stop for our coat? Do we ever go back in? etc.). Then we quickly grab the last of our gear & stay outside for our outdoor time.

If we don't do it at outdoor time, I do like the others and whisk them out and whisk them in - just enough so that they keep up with practicing getting out fast when they hear the alarm. We are required one drill per month per shift of care but I usually do two.

Today when our roasted chicken was done the timer started beeping and DCB, 3, jumped up and was at the door saying, "Emergency!" before anyone else could blink! :lol:

melilley 03-03-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leanna (Post 439234)

Today when our roasted chicken was done the timer started beeping and DCB, 3, jumped up and was at the door saying, "Emergency!" before anyone else could blink! :lol:

:lol:

We did a few last week and one dcb keeps pointing to the smoke detector and making beeping sounds. They love to do the drills....lol

sahm1225 03-03-2014 11:38 AM

For those that have young infants - do you dress them up before going outside?

We typically set the alarm off and rush to the exit with all the big kids. I usually have the infant in my arms, but we don't go outside. We talk about safety, our meeting place and do our headcounts.

Just curious for those that do a quick outside trip - do you take a few minutes before hand and get the infants covered up?

mema 03-03-2014 12:57 PM

My former licensor told me we could just go to the door and then discuss what to do if it is too cold for outside play. I try to do at least every other that we set it off as we are headed out to play. This winter we haven't been outside for more than a handful of days, so we go to the door, open point/talk about where to go and call it good.

lovemykidstoo 03-03-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leanna (Post 439234)
In the winter months we will often have drills just as we are finishing getting ready to go outside. This way almost everyone is suited up and we do the whole meeting place, attendance, etc. I usually discuss with mine each and every time why we practice and quiz them on the procedure. (Do we run? Do we stop for our coat? Do we ever go back in? etc.). Then we quickly grab the last of our gear & stay outside for our outdoor time.

If we don't do it at outdoor time, I do like the others and whisk them out and whisk them in - just enough so that they keep up with practicing getting out fast when they hear the alarm. We are required one drill per month per shift of care but I usually do two.

Today when our roasted chicken was done the timer started beeping and DCB, 3, jumped up and was at the door saying, "Emergency!" before anyone else could blink! :lol:

Love it!!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:57 PM.