View Single Post
Luipefiasco 01:08 PM 04-11-2018
This might be a common question, so sorry if it was addressed in a previous thread.

I recently started care with an in-home daycare provider. We made our initial non-refundable deposit to reserve our spot months ago and then had our first day on Monday. We had not signed our contract as the way the provider has it set up, is that the first two weeks are considered a trial period for both parent and provider and then after the 2 weeks we would sign the contract, and then the deposit be used for the 3rd week of care.

On the first day we brought the check for our first week. By lunchtime we rec'd word that it was "not going well", our 4month old would not eat, nap, and was crying all day (uncharacteristic) instead of reassuring 1st time parents that this was normal in the transition, the provider seemed overwhelmed and I left work early. Then on Day 2, there was no improvement, however we stuck it out and my wife picked up our baby at 4:00. After Day 2 we decided to not to return to the provider and I put a stop payment on the check. I found it unjust compensation that the provider have 2 weeks worth of pay for 1.5 days worth of care. I would also like to note that we did not have a contract in place. I have already cancelled the check, but wanted to get opinions from the group.

IMO, we were not bound by contract. I was extremely unhappy with the care and believe that without a contract the provider will not have a leg to stand on if they choose to go the route of small claims court.

Thoughts?