View Single Post
marniewon 07:28 AM 09-28-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:

And if the only reason why you want a kid to have formula over milk that the PARENTS of the child want it to have is because of MONEY from the food program, that is pretty selffish to me. Oh my, lets not get ripped off by a few cents here and there...I wonder if you would still care about the milk if you were not on the food program? Lets face it, it's the child you are worried about, it's the money!
I'M not worried about the money OR the child, this isn't MY dck. I only brought up the food program because if THEY say the child needs formula (and they go by the gov't food standards) then THEY must know a little something about the nutritional needs of children! You are right - a FEW CENTS is all we get, so that's obviously not the reason I would even bring it up.

I have an 11 1/2 month old and mom recently switched to milk. I give him milk. I don't have a problem with that. He's thriving. The doctor is on board with giving him milk. I also have a 15mo dcb who has lost a few pounds in the last few months and his doctor IS concerned about it. And he is by no means scrawny, but doctors tend to be concerned when children lose weight for no apparent reason.

No one said juice is poison. The argument here is that the doctors/WIC/food program people know a heck of a lot more than we do and many parents do - and THEY all deem that kids need formula until they are 1 (unless for some reason they can't, or don't need it, as in closer to age 1). The big problem is that mom brought JUICE and said JUICE or WATER only - no milk or formula at all!!! They need one or the other!