View Single Post
professionalmom 09:33 AM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
I've been in their shoes more than once in my life, and here's what I did....worked more hours, worked harder, found a better job, improved my lot in life, reduced my 'non-essential' spending.

There are many options available, straight up health insurance being only one of them.

Try looking into HSA's once. They can be very affordable and reasonable.
I agree with the "reduced your non-essential spending". Been there, done that! However, in this day and age, many people do not know how that is defined. I try to tell people that you have to think of survival NEEDS - food, water, clothing, shelter, etc. - the things that you WILL DIE without. Beyond those are secondary needs such as health, safety, etc. which make life worth more than a mere exisitence. Then come the wants. However, I find that most people get confused by this category. Many think the Internet is a Need. I "need" it to do the reporting for the food program and DHS, but if I really think about it, I could report by phone or go to the library, so it's really a "want" for convenience.

Sadly, many people buy into the propaganda of the latest commercials for the latest electronic device (and other things). Then they think they "need" it because their neighbors, the Joneses, will get it and they have to "keep up with the Joneses". It's pathetic and embarrassing how easily humans can allow themselves to be manipulated. Thankfully, my parents taught me to think for myself, so I don't fall into these "I gotta have it" traps.

But I also remember tv remotes that had CORDS, rotary phones, and typewriters. When I was growing up, we didn't have wireless "stuff", cell phones, video cameras, DVDS (or even VCRs), digital cameras, Internet, email, ipods, etc. We didn't have that stuff AND we didn't need it. If I lived once without all of that, I could do it again. But, today's generation would feel like they stepped into the stone age. Heaven help us if we lose indoor plumbing!