View Single Post
Leigh 07:07 PM 06-14-2014
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
I recently signed up for the food program and am still learning how it all works. I just had an interview for a 3yr and the mom claims he is on a gluten free/organic diet due to food allergies. I request medical documentation in regards to it and explain that legally I cannot feed him what she sends because I provide all meals and snacks. I also explained that with a doctor's order I could serve meals based on his allergies but not without it. He began at my daycare Friday and had no paperwork stating food allergies or anything so he ate the meal I served. He did state he wasn't supposed to eat it because it's not organic. I told him that was the meal I was offering and he didn't have to eat it if he didn't want to. He ate it all and appeared fine, no issues or complaints. My question is #1 was it right on my behalf to serve him our meal versus his. My assumption was that on the food program documentation must follow for a substitution meal. #2 If and when documentation is provided am I then responsible for preparing his meal based on his diet or can his mother provide his meal. The mother stated she would prefer to prepare and bring his meal. Sorry this is so long .
I would continue to feed meals that Mom provides and not claim the child until the issue is resolved. Give Mom 3 days to provide documentation of medical necessity. If you don't receive the documentation, I'd assume Mom lied to me and I would term for that. Lots of parents put their kids on fad diets (and while gluten-free is a necessity for some, it's nothing more than a way for parents to get attention in some cases-I don't mean to offend anyone with an intolerance, but I have NO respect for parents who put their kids on fad diets). Gluten-free is necessary for some, but a child who doesn't require gluten-free misses out on the benefits of whole grains.