Thread: Handbook Help
View Single Post
Nebula 02:16 PM 11-05-2013
Hi Everyone

I was in a major I MEAN MAJOR car accident......... And am now stuck with 2 broken legs in a nursing home while hubby takes over the child care home for a couple of months........... It could have easily been a fatal accident.... I am just now able to respond.

Anyway, the Discipline policy is what I picked up from a place I used to work at. A parent has to actually remove their child from the premises (i.e go to their car to discipline) and it would only be for extreme instances, so if they chose to spank, they would not be getting spanked on daycare property. Maybe it is a bit extreme, but I definitely believe in spanking (even though we are not allowed to) and if a parent wants to spank their child, I have no right to stop them. While I don't spank, I have no problem explaining extreme discipline problems to parents, and if they choose to spank that's fine. In public school, if a child is suspended or out of control, the parents get called to pick them up........

I don't have the health statement requirements, as I am what they call a "Listed Family Home".

I want to be flexible with parents, if they get paid on Friday, then I have no problem with their payment day being on Friday. Since we are only allowed a total of 3 kids (and right now, we only have 1) it isn't hard to keep up with. Although, I am thinking of making payment day be on Fridays, period.

I was not aware that Texas didn't allow you to keep medication in the center. Suppose a kid spikes 103 fever, mom is an hour away from the center... but asks you to give him/her age appropriate Tylenol, and you don't have it available. When my parents enroll their child, they sign a form authorizing those 3 medications in an emergency, and with their contact. In other words, I keep Infant and Children's Tylenol, Motrin, and Benadryl on hand for that very purpose (think bee sting kid is allergic...). The parents sign a statement when they enroll them, giving me permission to give those medications so I can contact them- and I already have their consent. They also sign another form when they pick them up where I signed that I gave them the medication......

All things aside, as a listed family home- we aren't bound by minimum standards. We are moving to a bigger house, and hope to upgrade to registered or licensed, so I am trying to meet all minimum standards anyway, because it is a safer environment- even though I am not required to.

I will get rid of the 50% discount.

Thanks for all your input, our grand opening & such is January 1, so I have several months to perfect the handbook!!