View Single Post
Unregistered 11:06 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I get what you are saying and I think there is a lot of old school wisdom in this way of thinking........ I really do.

But... I wonder how you would feel about providers terming kids because they found a better fit.. specifically someone who paid... let's say... ten dollars more a week? How do you feel about that as far as professionalism and from the perspective of the kid? The parents are not held to a level of professionalism as we are. They just want pro's. My feelings on this are that the provider should address this open to the parent, as soon as you found out that PM at pick up, face to face. If they are leaving ask why. If you want to keep the child ask if there is anything you can do on your part to have the family stay with you. If they are set on leaving, wish them well and explain to them they have two weeks, and you will keep them till January as long as the spot does not become filled. You need to do what you have to do to replace them- try to be fair. Don't treat the child different, he is just a child. Learn from it and move on.

How would you feel about the provider telling the child that the kid that was visiting was going to take their place in child care and didn't say a word to the parents... just let the kid tell them.

NOT being contentious... I'm really interested in your opinion of the same perspective inverted.
The parents are not held to a level of professionalism as we are. They just want pro's. My feelings on this are that the provider should address this open to the parent, as soon as you found out that PM at pick up, face to face. If they are leaving ask why. If you want to keep the child ask if there is anything you can do on your part to have the family stay with you. If they are set on leaving, wish them well and explain to them they have two weeks, and you will keep them till January as long as the spot does not become filled. You need to do what you have to do to replace them- try to be fair. Don't treat the child different, he is just a child. Learn from it and move on.

Nan I think I see where you are coming from on this.....if you want to be treated as professional and respected for your line of work, you need to behave as a professional, even when it is not always fair