View Single Post
wdmmom 07:16 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I'm not being facetious. I'm asking you a pure question.

You are saying that you wouldn't interview if you didn't have an opening. I get that.

What I'm saying is if we go off of "what's the best fit" which you believe is the parents right... then can/should that be flipped around and providers should feel free to interview the better deal.... and if/when they do... that they let the child know... and tell the parents when it's best for THEM?

I guess I think if it's no big deal... then it has to be no big deal on both sides.

I think times are a changin and in many ways the value of child care has really really diminished. I think the notion of "helping raise" the kids is being challenged on every turn. I think "loyalty" has diminished greatly and possibly that has it's benefits.

Maybe there IS value in just doing what is best fit. We shouldn't consider the family or the child before we consider ourselves and our business. Maybe we should consider that it ISN'T that big of a deal to term families ... even to the point of being completely open with the child... because we ALL understand at the top of the relationship that we should do what is best for ourselves first and foremost.

Maybe it shouldn't come as a shock to a parent when a kid comes home and says that they will be getting a new day care because another child has come to take their place. The parent who does this to a provider should just understand that OF COURSE the provider should do best fit and finding out that they are not best fit is no big deal. Just be grateful for the time you HAD with the provider and move on so she can get her "best fit" on.

Even providers are guilty of "best fit" and if they aren't, they're lying. What happens when you interview 3 families all vying for one spot in the daycare?! You pick the BEST FIT!!!!

And you can bet your paycheck that if there's a waiting list and something like this arose, you'd be calling the first person on the waiting list to offer them a spot!

Some providers are so full of themselves and how they would handle the situation. To most, it's the only income they have. They lose it, they lose their livelihood. No one is going to let that happen if they have the control to prevent it.