View Single Post
Ariana 12:23 PM 11-24-2015
I suggested counseling for a DCG and I certainly don't regret it and I don't think it is unprofessional in the least. The child was suffering after a nasty divorce and had a mental breakdown in my home saying "I can't take it anymore". To me this means that in order for me to be professional I have to suggest resources to families. I didn't ask her about her insurance though

The thing is that unless the family is willing and able to do what the counselor suggests NOTHING will change. In my case the children went to a psychologist until the psychologist started suggesting that mom needed to change and well, that was the end of the counseling. Are these the type of people that will do what it takes to get this kid the help he needs. The thing is he is doing this at home too and they aren't doing anything about it.

I completely understand how frustrated you feel right now

As for calming measures I would suggest a calming jar for sure. I would also do everything I could to teach him mindfulness and meditation. You will do more for him with these two things than any counselor could. It will help him for the rest of his life. All of the kids could use it!