View Single Post
Leigh 04:36 PM 12-22-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I'm going to use a slightly different take on it. You can find recipes for kids everywhere- once you learn to cook for yourself it will be much simpler. A good starting point would be your local community college. A lot of them offer 1 evening classes on basics or cooking certain foods. Your library should have a bunch of beginner's cookbooks. Grab a couple and pick a half dozen recipes or so. I like Melissa D'Arabian's (spelling?) $10 dinners and Sandra Lee's Semi-homemade. I'm also a huge Alton Brown fan- Good Eats isn't on the air anymore, but a lot of the episodes are on youtube, & DVD's of the shows are probably available from your library on Interlibrary loan (if they don't already have them.)

The bottom line is cooking should be playtime- don't take it seriously. Try out new things- I like to grab something I've never cooked with before & figure out how to use it. Good Luck

I find tons of inspiration on my Roku channels. Ree Drummond's recipes have never failed me-even though I may have happily made something for years, her recipes are always just a little better. I recently made her twice baked potatoes, and they were awesome...from not on, I'm making my mashed like this, too. Her salisbury steak recipe is one the kids here love, and so does my family (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/). The hungry housewife has some good ones, too. I learned to cook from the Good Housekeeping cookbook-it's still where I go when I want a traditional recipe that taste's like my mom made it. Taste of Home magazine, and all of their affiliate mags are good, too. I have never made anything from one of those magazines that I haven't liked. I got a 4 year subscription for $16 from a magazine deal website (discountmags, maybe?).