View Single Post
Meeko 08:50 AM 05-24-2012
When we left the Air Force and moved back here, I took a job opening early just on Saturdays (5AM) at a local center. It was horrendous. As the kids (mostly just dumped by parents who wanted to go back to bed) went back to sleep....I busied myself cleaning the filth. I found a moldy, half eaten jar of baby food in the block box. I could only find a handful of crayons and when I asked the girl who came in at noon about it....she told me the owner didn't like replacing things and that's all they had.

The bathrooms were a health hazard, so was the kitchen. I went home with raw knuckles and cried. The following week, I arranged for licensing to show up while I was there. I showed them around and they they were dismayed. I called the owner, told him to get down there and when he expected me to help him make excuses, I gave him a piece of my mind and told him I was the one who called licensing (they don't normally go out on weekends) and I quit. sad to say, he did just enough to amend the huge long list licensing gave him and is still in business today. It's sickening.

After that, I got a job in another center and spent three glorious years there. Great owners, great staff. I only left because my last daughter was born and I wanted to be home with her. I still pop in when I have time and see the owners and their kids. They knew I was leaving to do home day care and they were very happy for me. It wasn't great pay...but the work atmosphere was wonderful.