View Single Post
MCC 06:42 PM 08-20-2013
"The Family Day Home standards do not require sight and sound
supervision because it is impossible for a single provider to do that.
Whether the provider is smoking, on the telephone, in the bathroom, changing a diaper, etc., § 560 A requires a caregiver to be on site and to provide direct care and supervision of each child at all times.
If a provider is smoking on the porch, they are ―on site,‖ but the provider must ensure the safety of children while she is outside.
What are the ages of the children? Can she hear them? Are they all asleep?
Are babies and toddlers in cribs or play pens and not on the floor or in a high chair? In other words, what is she doing to secure the children while she
is unavailable for a few minutes smoking or using the bathroom, etc.
The provider may not leave infants and preschoolers alone in the family day home while she gets a school-aged child off the bus."

This is directly from our regs. I was when I read this.

I am set up on the entire lower level of my home. We have a large playroom with a bathroom, a large sleep room, and we've converted our storage room into a large motor playroom. The only room the kids are ever alone in is the sleep room. I have a video monitor in there to watch them, and usually check on them 2-3 times during their 2 hour nap. I would NEVER step foot outside my house to "smoke" (not that I smoke) while I had daycare kids here.

I do, however, use the bathroom alone. I just leave the door open. I put the infant in a gated off area, and just go. Most of the time I am joined by at least 3 of the children. I can't let daycare kids under 5 use the bathroom alone, but I do let my own 2.5 yo use the potty and wash her hands alone.