View Single Post
Unregistered 05:46 AM 08-16-2017
My beloved adorable little 2 year old started impulsively bashing other kids. He was a good sharer and an only child who loved being with other kids but inexplicably started hitting for no apparent cause out of the blue.
I researched and found out about sensory overload. He went to see an occupational therapist who was an expert in sensory integration therapy with kids. After 2 weeks he stopped hitting and has never done it again he also learned a lot about regulating his energy by doing bouts of extreme exercise when he needs to. He still remained a very hyper little boy who was hard to handle but what I discovered was that with enough exercise at intervals during the day things improved. I put him in a pre-school with a full sized playground on a huge college campus where they went for walks every day and a huge gym for rainy days.
He is 16 now and knows how to regulate his own energy by vigorous workouts in his room when he feels tense, he is an A student in a challenging large public high school and plays in an orchestra and a chamber group and I NEVER used the drugs that lots of misguided school personal thought I should but I did put him in a Waldorf school from age 10-through 8th grade because they integrate being outdoors, the arts and academics in a way more humanely matched to his nervous system.Please don't judge a small child who is "wild". Read "The Out of Sync Child"