View Single Post
Unregistered 01:53 PM 01-03-2013
I know this post is a little old but this subject really puses my buttons.

Babysitters for the most part go to the person's hours they don't need a liscense or any training/schooling and get paid more an hour than professional providers (usually about $10-$15/hr) they also only watch for one family which the average family has 1-3 children. Plus most get to eat food from the families fridge and watch their TV and many do not provide (let alone pay for) activities/curriculum. Some babysitters are just teenagers who need to make a little bit of cash to go shopping and most babysitters don't pay taxes. they also only work maybe 1x or 2x a week on average

Depending on your state/county most providers need a liscence, 15 hours of health/safety training, attend an orientation, and pay for liscense registration/training fees get paid maybe an average of $1-3/hour per child. And some go to school to learn about child development/ECE so they can get a certificate/AA/CDA/ or teaching permit so they can teach preschool or learn how to build a curriculum (espesually those who teach preschool). One of my CD/ECE professors said when she was a director of a center/preschool and was still called a babysitter. She said that it's not just family child care but all professionals that work with young children tend to be thought of as "Glorified babysitters" in society. She said that the only way we will get the respect we deserve is to project a professional image by staying educated and using as much correct/scientific terms to discribe development as well as have clear contracts/policies and sticking to them