View Single Post
mommyneedsadayoff 03:13 PM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I do want to share with you that my State just did away with the group home classification entirely because of how many people were going over ratio illegally.

Now providers only have two choices : Family childcare at 1/6 or a Center. Many states will follow soon. Their goal is to do away with family childcare entirely because we are too hard to manage and take up resources that they feel would be better spent elsewhere. Your provider is part of the problem for our field right now, not the solution.
I don't think that is fair. The problem is the disconnect between what the state allows and what the city zoning commissions allow. People want daycare and they want it to be accessible and affordable. The main entities I see getting int he way of this are the state and the city. If they cannot follow through on regulating the rules they put in place, that is on them. If they make a regulation that the city does not allow, then they should do the work to make it allowable versus putting that cost on the provider. IMO, this sounds like a wonderful provider who want to expand, but cannot due to city zoning laws. I don't think the provider is the problem. I think they and parents are feeling the consequence of over regulation in this area. It sounds like the city does not want home based daycare for more than 6 kids. They want centers in commercial areas. The city is electing to have kids in center based care versus home based care.