View Single Post
Unregistered 10:49 AM 02-08-2011
Consider this. If a daycare provider has 6 kids who are scheduled to attend that day, but all but one of those children decide not to come because of the weather, then where is the motivation for the provider to stay open?

For daycare centers, it's even more illogical to stay open on a day when a good majority of the other kids are not attending. The center would need to be staffed with at least 2 people (at least at the ones that I've worked for). It just doesn't make sense financially.

For one of the really bad snowdays, I had 5 kids not come due to the weather and only 1 that did come. The saddest part was that the dad had the day off but sent her anyway. Sure, I was going to be home anyway, but I would have liked to have had the time to spend with my own child. I've learned a lesson from it, though, and in the future, I will be closing on snow days where 4 or more kids won't be attending.

I don't charge for days that I don't provide care, but that's just the way that I've always done things, but I think that the providers and centers that charge a flat rate are absolutely justified in charging it. As a parent, you are paying for the spot and it may seem unfair, but ask yourself how you would feel if your employer decided to stop paying you for your vacation time and sick time. It would really suck and it would seem unfair to you. If you signed a contract and agreed to paying the flat rate, then you need to just suck it up and pay it. If it bothers you so much, by all means, find a daycare that has financial terms that you can live with. If it's just a matter of not wanting to pay for one day of care and you've been happy otherwise, let it go! I would much rather pay the provider that I'm happy with the tuition for a snow day as opposed to searching for another daycare that won't charge for the day. I'd rather be satisfied with the quality of care.

OP, if the only issue with your daycare is the snow day policy and you are otherwise happy with what your child is getting, then let it go!