Thread: Daycare Fire
View Single Post
SilverSabre25 07:21 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by countrymom:
you ladies are silly. Because if there was a fire in your house, you wouldn't think, you would go into auto pilot and just do it. You would try to save the whole house if you could and everything in it, because thats the way we are, we are human. I would try and save every living thing in my house including all the children and the pets, again its just the way we are wired.
Actually, I do NOT go on Autopilot in an emergency. I act according to pre-planned contingencies I've thought about in my head for long periods of time. I am one of those people who functions VERY well in an emergency and loses my head AFTER everyone is safe.

And...not directly to you countrymom but as a general response to the discussion...I wouldn't go back in for my pets. Not my cat, not my dog, nothing. Because as much as I love them, if they don't get out, there are literally thousands more waiting in the shelters. Cats especially--you're NOT going to be able to find a cat in a fire. If they don't get out on their own or aren't lurking by the door to escape as soon as it's opened (and they might, because they can sense stuff we can't), they are going to be in deep, deep hiding and you aren't going to be able to find them in the smoke and stuff. And they would NOT come out for you. They're cats. In certain situations, maybe--depending on where the fire is and what's going on. But probably not. Leave the front door open? Absolutely. Tell the firefighters, "my cats are still in there!" Obviously. Go back into a dangerous situation and die? For a child. Maybe an adult. Not for an animal.