View Single Post
melilley 10:35 AM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I do conferences. Technically, I run a morning preschool, so the parents expect them, but really, I find them incredibly helpful, so I would do them regardless.

For me, the conferences take about 20-40 minutes and I usually will jot down a few notes beforehand. We talk about their development, socially and emotionally. We talk about kindergarten readiness stuff (colors, numbers, letters, following directions, etc). I also go over the state's preschool guidelines a little with them and talk about how we meet these while they're in preschool with me. It's pretty relaxed and I try to keep it informal and just a chat. I also make sure that I share something cute/funny/smart that their kid has done recently and something that we're working on. I ask for help from mom and dad if needed and also make sure I answer any questions for them. It's also a time that I try and get feedback from them, "were there any themes that Johnny liked in particular this year? Do you have any suggestions for..." That's basically it. I do have a portfolio that I do for each child, so some of this conversation happens while they're looking at pictures of their kiddo.

I have to say, that I sometimes kind of dread conferences (you know, it's just more people in my house/have to make sure the house is clean/ etc etc etc), but I always feel energized and so good about our conversations. It helps keep communication open and helps us feel so much more comfortable with each other. I always do a conference in Oct or Nov and sometimes do one in the spring for the parents that want one.

Not sure if that helps much, but that's how I do it.
Do you know where to find the state's preschool guidelines?