View Single Post
Heidi 10:48 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
I would also share what you are doing with the parents. Write up a handout of language to use so you are all consistent. Be consistent with your expectations and act swiftly each time so he knows that it is not acceptable. Let the parents know that they need to do the same exact thing at home because if you don't fix the behavior soon then you will need to term him if he is a danger to the other kids. Let them know that you see no reason that should happen if you guys are on the same page. Let them know that behavior can change in just a few days with consistency.

I just went through this with a DCB and we were able to change his behavior in a week. It was exhausting, but it was worth it. The parents were on board though as well.
yes, yes, yes!

It really helps if you use the same language at home and at dc.

They've already had to switch daycares once, whether by choice or by force. I think you can afford to be honest with them, and share your strategies. The worst thing for HIM is to go through another change. The behavior will just get worse every time, because he will never bond with a provider. Part of the motivation for behaving appropriately is that the child cares about the adult, too. They want to please you. So, all that positive reinforcement encourages a bond. We've seen parents who can't or wont set limits because they want their child to like them. Funny thing is, most kids like you better when you're consistent and kind.