View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:08 AM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I agree you should probably not be working with them but I do have a HUGE problem with you referring to children as slow minded. Even special needs children wrong the child may have some special needs but is a child first.

You are right some people do not have patience to work with any except the brightest. But the joy is no less when the child they thought may never crawl learns to walk. Or the day he spent all day trying to teach you the sign for Daddy. Who was slow minded ?? I think it was me that day. Do children that are not perfect slow my group down ?? no the others are great about teaching by example. Some times it is OUR program that is the problem not the child. Expecting preschoolers to do worksheets, sit in a chair and listen to the adult teach. All preschoolers learn better by doing not being told.

I am sorry if I offended you but really by signing out you knew it would bother some. Calling a child slow minded is as offensive as it gets.
Originally Posted by sugar buzz:
I don't think that there's anything wrong at all with knowing and setting your limitations and strengths. My issue was with the word, "slow-minded," too. Not all children with special needs are learning disabled. Many disorders have normal to above average IQ's. (Albert Einstein had special needs and was labeled "dumb.") High ability and giftedness is actually a form of special needs, also. The children who are learning disabled have enough on their plate, without being termed, offensively and generalized. (I don't mean to sound preachy--this is near and dear to my heart. My younger brother has a learning disability and speech impediment and ended up graduating with honors.)
Often times those who aren't familiar with or comfortable with special needs, are also not familiar with or aware of the proper terms. Or what terms and words are offensive.

I know I struggled with this when I first started out as I had no education as far as special needs and had no familiarity with anything to do with different.

I didn't feel she used the term in a hurtful manner but more so as not having a better word/phrase/description to use. kwim?

If there is an issue or some may be offended by the words OP used, perhaps it would be beneficial or useful then to suggest an alternate word.