View Single Post
Heidi 10:53 AM 04-14-2014
I don't agree with timeouts being humiliating, but I don't think they are appropriate for a child that young. He is too young for "consequences".

Repeat and model "gentle hands" gentle, gentle. Speak softly when you show him. Practice on stuffed animals. Compliment him...."Oh, that's so nice, you are using gentle hands"

He has no idea how 'strong" he is at a year. Yes, he may have a temper, but he isn't capable of thinking through "gosh, I am angry, so I am going to whack so and so and then have a fit because Miss Ihop won't like it and boy will I show her".

If you can't be right by him or he's in a "mood", head off the potential for the behavior. THat's the time to put him in a highchair or pnp with some toys. Not after the behavior happens.

Biting, give him something he can bite. Instead of "no biting!", try "bite THIS" and give him a teether. Put it on a pacifier strap, if it's that frequent. If he bites out of frustration, it's because he can't communicate other ways yet. Try giving him some signs, or at least modeling words. "you want that toy, but x is using it now. I know it's hard to wait. Let's find you something else to play with".