View Single Post
Thriftylady 03:06 PM 07-09-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Then that is the time to call on family and friends....

It has NOTHING to do with deserving a vacation, taking one because others get one too or with being paid a minimal amount for the long hours we work but it has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that as a small business owner I get to choose which services (and when) I offer and you as a parent get to choose whether or not you sign on with a provider that charges for her/his vacation time.

If you don't want to pay double, find a provider that doesn't charge for days she is closed or use a center that is open all year round.

I choose to charge a flat weekly rate 52 weeks a year.
My clients choose to agree to this before enrolling.

EVERYONE has a choice.

If you are double paying and not liking it, then it's YOUR issue to fix not your providers job to edit or alter her policies simply to meet YOUR needs.
THIS.

It isn't even really being about self employed, even though we are. It is about we run our own business the way we want to. OUR name is on the door. The same as you get to pick what store you buy groceries in, or clothing in or whatever you get to choose what childcare you use. I don't charge for my days off right now, but I am not saying I never will, I will review my policies yearly and do as I see fit at the time.

But do you really want the provider who never takes time off because she can't afford to caring for the most important thing in your life? You don't really think that a tired, overworked, underpaid provider is the best place to leave your precious child do you? If so go find one, but be prepared for the things that could happen. Things could go great for years. Or, she could just not open the door one day, and then again a week or two later. Leaving you in a bind. At least a provider that tells you ahead of time leaves you some options.