View Single Post
jojosmommy 07:51 AM 08-19-2012
I live one somewhat long block from the school. I can not see the school from my house. I have never had one parent sign up to have their kid walk from my house to school. They always choose the houses that are 15 houses closer and can see the school from their door. I get it, but it is frustrating.

We do have the "walking school bus" in our district. It is even on the district webpage so you can easily look up the walking route nearest your home. Check it out and see if you or other locals who are facing this new rule could get something like that started.

Can you walk to the school with all your dck? I know some providers who do that. Not managable at my house but some providers make it work.

How much income would you lose from this family and others leaving? Could you hire a helper for 1 hour each am and pm who could stay with the littles while you walk? She could help out with preschool or something once you get back. Maybe a retired person or college person with open hours.

We also have a form for kids leaving our home to release liability while they are walking but I don't know how much legal weight it would really hold if something was to happen. Again, I have never had anyone actually walk from my house. This year my AM Kindy kid is having mom/dad pick her up on their lunch so that she can stay in my care. It was that or switch to a closer daycare to walk or further away one to be bussed.