View Single Post
Play Care 04:55 AM 07-12-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I wouldn't let them leave with the child without a verbal notification from the legal guardians (unless they had a regular schedule were that person would pick the child up); even if they are on the contact list. Because if they just decided on a whim to pick up a child without the parent knowing (especially a non-custodial aunt/uncle/grandparent/cousin/friend) it could cause a lot of confusion and issues not only within the family but also between you and the parents. Also (depending on your state laws) make sure the person picking up is at least 18, because if you release them to a minor and something happens you could be held responsible.

At my school's CDC program they always ID any non-guardian pick ups and make sure they have the appropriate car seats; the have turned pick up contacts way for not having appropriate seats.

Plus, in most cases children are abducted by someone they know and trust. http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstai...bductions.html
The problem is that if the parents have given their written approval that Grandma or Auntie has permission to pick up, we legally *have* to release the child. The only "out" I might have is if the person seemed under the influence of something (my contract says that I won't release a child to someone (non parent) who appears to be under the influence. I felt so bad for the child care that had the two boys picked up by grandma and then she killed them and herself...The grandma had a history of mental health issues and the *parents* never should have put her on the pick up list. The day care had no choice but to release them. The director even said she had talked to the grandma at pick up and she seemed totally fine/with it - and her hands were tied anyway as she was on the pick up list