View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:07 AM 07-12-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
The problem is that if the parents have given their written approval that Grandma or Auntie has permission to pick up, we legally *have* to release the child. The only "out" I might have is if the person seemed under the influence of something (my contract says that I won't release a child to someone (non parent) who appears to be under the influence. I felt so bad for the child care that had the two boys picked up by grandma and then she killed them and herself...The grandma had a history of mental health issues and the *parents* never should have put her on the pick up list. The day care had no choice but to release them. The director even said she had talked to the grandma at pick up and she seemed totally fine/with it - and her hands were tied anyway as she was on the pick up list
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Is this a reg. in your state or a federal law that I'm not aware of?

Aside from the non-custodial parent thing (which I think everyone gets), I do not HAVE to give the child to anyone, even an approved pick-up. I can't see any reason that I wouldn't, as long as I was told by the parent to expect them or it was a regular thing (like Aunt Sue always picks up on Fridays). But, if I said no, they'd have to call the police in to make me do it.

In the above case, I guess it doesn't matter if the director's hands were tied anyway. She said herself grandma seemed fine, so she probably wouldn't have said "no, you can't have the kids". Putting her on the list in the first place was the parent's choice. How sad for everyone involved.
I agree.... I am NOT required to release any child to anyone on the emergency contact list. The emergency contact list is ONLY for when the parent cannot be reached and the child must be picked up in the case of an emergency.

I make sure this subject is covered during the interview. I let parents know my definition of emergency contacts and approved pick up people.

I also have a rule that I must speak DIRECTLY to the custodial parent before allowing any child to leave with anyone, even if they ARE on the emergency contact list.

With the changes in custody, family drama and confusing family relationships now days, you really cant be too careful/safe and I make sure parents know this is where I am coming from and why I have this policy.