View Single Post
Cat Herder 07:06 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by PB&J:
I know this post is extremely old … but it’s an issue that is currently throwing a wrench in our days. Our “quality” mentor says that we shouldn’t (can’t?) stop kids from moving things out of one center to another, since it allows kids to explore and experiment. They should be able to take blocks from the block center over to the book nook to build walls or tables…or to the sand table to build dams …. They should be able to take food toys from the kitchen into the block area to build a restaurant … they should be able to take dress up items to the arts center to draw as a doctor … etc etc. Do you allow this kind of cross play (or, experimentation and brain building), or do you require things to stay in the center they “belong” to?
I allow cross play since all toys have to go in the bin after being played with for cleaning and disinfection daily, anyway.

With COVID regs I made the centers individual, one per child to stop cross contamination. They rotate centers per day, now. I don't know for sure when I will stop this practice as it has been a really nice change of pace. They play more engaged and creatively when there all day (minus group, nap, outdoor and meal times) vs rotating every 30-60 minutes or straight up rogue play as suggested.