View Single Post
GretasLittleFriends 01:46 PM 08-05-2009
I'm confused... Will the daycare be in the same apartment that you are living in, or will you rent a separate apartment for daycare only? First off, which ever way it is you need to get permission from the landlord. Chances are licensing for an apartment daycare which is NOT your home may be a little more difficult.

Start-up costs depend on what you need. Figure $$ for a background check and license dues. Also you need to think about safety features, fire escape, fire extinguishers, proper alarms (fire and carbon monoxide). There will also be the consideration of what the children will sleep on, cots, mats, etc. Don't forget toys, videos, educational equipment, etc. Start-up costs all depend on what you want to spend.

I'm not sure what your insurance cost will be, but an idea for me in Minnesota, it was under $300/year for a $1Mil/$2Mil policy. Of course, you'll need to find a daycare policy that is willing to work with you on your set-up situation. My <$300 was for the daycare in my home.

Pros of running a daycare apartment, not in your own home. Layouts are usually open, playground on site (depending on apartment), convenience to residents.

Cons: Possible lack of yard space, landlord not approving, noise consideration for the neighbors, destruction of property (i.e. wall damage, carpet damage, out side property damage...) Just to name a few. Oh, and would you still need renters insurance for the second apartment on top of daycare insurance?

Good luck how ever you decide to do it!! Caring for kids is a wonderful profession!