View Single Post
Unregistered 04:20 AM 01-01-2016
While I am about 90% organic, have lots of garden veggies in the summer/fall, etc. I'm still middle of the road and kid friendly. My kids seem to always eat great.

I don't serve chicken nuggets, fish sticks, etc. and make most things from scratch. I really strive to made meals without artificial colorings, flavorings, preservatives, etc.

But.....
I buy food co-op organic tortillas...but they are still white flour tortillas.
I use 1/2 organic white spaghetti and 1/2 whole grain.
I've been known to use Annie's mac 'n cheese and add extra cheese.
The big thing for me is to serve organic, lower sugar, homemade if possible, lots of fresh or frozen veggies, all fresh fruit, minimally processed, etc.

My kids' favorites are:
Roast beef, carrots & potatoes
Egg, cheese, potato skillet meal
Chicken Alfredo over pasta made with homemade Alfredo sauce (really easy)
French toast bake made with hearty food co-op bread (it needs bread that won't get soggy anyway) and real maple syrup
Roast turkey
Turkey melts made with immaculate biscuits...again white flour but basic ingre.
Scrambled eggs with cheese
Homemade chicken/rice soup
The day after roast beef or roast turkey we have B.B.Q beef sand. or turkey sand.
P.B. and jam...co-op bread, organic peanut butter and jam used

I see regular recipes like a chicken ranch crescent bake...I buy immaculate crescent rolls, organic dry ranch dressing, the cook and shred chicken breasts and make the meal.

I make homemade hamburger helper...so easy! But I roast beef.

So I tweak regular recipes, use lots of raw veggies, all fresh fruit, no canned fruit or veggies, mostly homemade, but still make it kids friendly.