View Single Post
CityGarden 12:27 PM 03-31-2017
Interesting approach... I see the value in it but my style is more subtly and less direct - with this topic as well as with academics, etc. I have books about how we are all different and that it's great that we're different... I also have a good amount of books on accepting who you are many of with have hints on accepting others just like you accept yourself. I am in Southern CA which is very diverse however my home is in an affluent (mostly White and Asian neighborhood).

We touch on...

I have books that reflect all of these areas but we do not overtly talk about them or have planned talks about them. (With the exception of holidays as we celebrate all holidays of the families in care with equal attention). The books are naturally there with the others and we talk about any book the desire to talk about.

Some of my favorite books of differences specifically are.

Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match by Monica Brown

The Family Book by Todd Parr

Who is in a Family by Robert Skutch

Love is a Family by Roma Downey (Single parent family but overall beautiful book)

The Great Big Book of Families by Mary Hoffman

I'm Like You, You're Like Me by Cindy Gainer

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes

All the Colors of the Earth by Sheila Hamanaka

I like Myself by Karen Beaumont

I'm Gonna Like Me by Jamie Lee Curtis

A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon

I find young children notice differences and if I approach differences as something to be valued both in themselves and in others they are more likely to take that away without adult themes, bias or undertones.