View Single Post
SilverSabre25 05:26 AM 10-26-2012
This is a spin off from this thread in the Parents and Guardians forum. I decided to start a different thread so as to not derail the other one.

I guess I'm about to get flamed here but...

I *do* have kids clean up their messes, and that includes accidents. It's part of potty learning. They don't spray cleaner or anything, but I'll have them changes clothes and bag the wet ones, give them a big wad of paper towels and show them how to wipe up the liquid, put the wad in a plastic bag, then wash their hands really well. I'm super calm and nonchalant about it all. "Oops, you had an accident! You must have forgotten to listen to your body; that's okay, it happens. Let's change clothes...okay, now we need to clean this up..." After they go back to what they were doing, I give the floor a spritz with cleaner and wipe it up again.

I have them wipe up their spilled milk/water, too, and if they drop their lunch on the floor they pick that up too.

It's not punishment...it's responsible. I see it as part of learning to be a good "citizen" and responsible for their own actions. Even when it's an accident.

Am I really that unusual?