View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 07:55 AM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
That said I don't believe in potty "training" at all. If kids are actually ready there should be no accidents, so my perspective is a little different lol.
This is what I believe in as well and I havn't had a potty training "accident" yet in my DC. I personally don't participate in potty training in daycare until I believe that the child is ready and I have yet to have a potty training accident happen in my home. I have had a 4 yo already potty trained DCB wet himself a bit ago but it was strange for him and it turned out he had a bladder infection ... not exactly a potty training accident. In his case I had him change his own clothes and leave them in the bathroom sink. I bagged his clothes and cleaned the sink (it didn't get anywhere else). If I did have a DCK have a potty training accident I'd probably to the same if only because I'd want that mess cleaned up quickly where spilled milk could wait.

I teach enough about responsibility through other ways that I doubt that it would really matter if I had them clean their accidents or not. They clean up the toys they use, take one bin out at a time, use the toys properly or have them taken away, clean up their own spills and dishes after meals and snacks etc.

PS: Urine is only sterile while it is in the body of a healthy person. Some people that feel healthy may get infections and have bacteria in their urine and not even know it. You don't want to know how many times I've gone to the Dr's for my dose of birth control and my urine results showed that I had a UTI. Bladder infections and UTI's are more common in kids than you think and I personally wouldn't want to take the risk of having one child with a bladder infection touch his/her urine and possibly contaminate daycare equipment. If I knew for sure that there was no possibility of infection then I wouldn't see it as a big deal as long as it wasn't as a form of punushment like many of you ladies have said.

Here is an interesting read that may get you to ponder:
ScienceDaily: Study Debunks Common Myth That Urine Is Sterile 2012