View Single Post
Heidi 06:02 AM 01-26-2016
I think it really depends on your circumstances.

When my kids were younger, my sister did daycare down the street. We often went on walks together. Sometimes, another friend and dcp down the street would join us, and we'd have 24 kiddos and 3 adults. Due to our regs, we couldn't "land" at any of our dc's, but we could walk to the park or fire station.

If we had low numbers, sometimes we'd have play dates at each other's daycares. As long as we didn't go over 8 children together, we were within licensing regs.

Yes, everything is a risk. Being a dcp is a risk. I think you need to weigh out the possible cost vs. the benefit.

More recently, I have on occasion had people come here to join us for an activity. For example, a former dcp and her children would come over a few hours. I generally had only 5 or so enrolled here, and I had 8 "spots". We kept our routine, and the visitors always went home before nap.

Sometimes, DC is isolating, both for the provider AND the kids. Who wants to play with the same people, day in and day out, with no variation? I see some value in the occasional "play date" for everyone, as long as the regs are followed.