View Single Post
Blackcat31 02:09 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Faith is a gift too:
I can see your argument here, but on the flip side I think we all hope that our children don't have to work their butts off and we all hope that we can retire someday.

I don't imagine that having Universal income will make them lazy, we instill a work ethic in them, I don't think that this will take it away.
It already has. There are more people in this country that don't work than there are that do. (NOT referring to those that aren't old enough, are too old and those physically and/or mentallyunable). So WHO is instilling this work ethic into society?

I imagine a lot of us work 50 hour work weeks, I don't want that for my children.
My children already have to work long hours. They have to pay for their college educations as well as pay taxes so that the millions of people now that don't choose to work can continue living comfortably.

For the tax implications I would say I could have less kids in the house, set my hours to shorter days,
make more donations, and definitely contribute more to retirement.
You can do that now. I choose to have less children in my care than I could and choose to have shorter hours than I used to. I do this by giving up certain ammenities. I don't have a brand new car, a 2500 sq ft house or take trips multiple times per year. I choose to earn the amount of income I need to live the life I choose to live.

Everyone has choices. So again, while universal income might be a good idea in theory, it isn't feasible in real life.