View Single Post
Homebody 06:26 AM 02-23-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I agree with some of what you said Homebody. But I think back to when I was in school and teachers weren't limited in how they disciplined the kids. Chewing gum in class meant you had to wear that gum on your nose for the day. Can you imagine if that happened nowadays? Students caught wreaking havoc on buses walked, plain and simple. It became the parents' problem to get them to school. I remember in 4th grade the teacher had a ruler by the door to remind us we had to behave respectfully or a slap of the ruler across the knuckles would happen. And watching her do it to the same 2 guilty kids kept the rest of us in line.
Chewing gum in class? Talking out of turn? Running in the halls? Putting your hands on another child, as in playing with a friend? Those were the common discipline problems of yesteryear. Look at the common problems of today's classrooms?? There is a huge difference there. Discipline has become a negative word. In the past 10-20 years I can only remember a handful of parents who were not afraid to speak up to the children to let them know who is the real boss at home. Everybody else has been trying to do the real conversations of discussion, how do you think so-and-so feels, what else can we do differently, let's talk it over with our friends, etc., etc. Sometimes that IS the thing to do but many 2-3 yos do NOT have the attention span or processing to take that all in. What exactly is wrong with saying 'because I'm the adult and I say so'. There should be no wiggle room for manipulation from a child that young. Instead of telling a 2-3 yo they shouldn't pull hair because it hurts, parents go into this whole long spiel about why. Kids shut them out.
Plus kids don't seem to be taught manners anymore. And that can go a long way towards respecting others. Home lives have changed. Parents don't hold back their fighting, their language, their behavior in front of little impressionable kids. Anything goes. They talk about everything in front of kids. They watch everything on TV in front of their kids. Kids absorb and everybody becomes insensitive to what used to be horrifying in our lives.
I agree that some people especially teachers are afraid to discipline anymore, as far as parents go it just depends on the parents. I remember children who acted out and got paddled in class. Did it correct their behavior? No it didn't. I had one set parents in their early 20's who admitted to spanking their almost 2 year old. He was one of the kids who I had behavior problems with. And yes talking it out with a 2-3 year old doesn't work. I'm old school in that when dealing with really young children like that I don't try to reason with them because there's no point, they don't understand. I just tell them this is how it is and how its done. As fas as the anything goes, and talking openly in front of kids, and watching anything on TV in front of them, well that went on when I was growing up too. At least in the circle I grew up in. My cousins and friends, we were exposed to things we shouldn't of been. I'm not saying we don't have problems today. I'm just saying things weren't perfect in the so called good ole days too. I've also been to plenty of family reunions where my nieces and nephews, who only see each other once a year, will sit in the living room together and be on their smart phones not saying anything to each other. The problems we have now are different with how technology and government over reach has taken over. But I don't think all children and parents have problems. Whether talking about today or way back when, there's always the bad apples that seems to influence how everyone sees the world. Everything isn't all good, but everything isn't all bad. Every generation has its challenges.