View Single Post
melskids 03:41 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I would love to do something like this! There are just a few things I see that would be hard and input would be great from others about them.

1.You would have to have some sort of help (lots) or almost one on one help because the kids are going to be wanting to be exploring. I'm sure you might do some group learning but most of these like this the kids are exploring, playing in creeks, barns, etc. You would just have to have tons of help.

2. The liability would be so high I bet. Even though the parents want something like this the first time there is a major injury, I bet it would be shut down.

3. I think you would have to really gauge this for a specific age range. Think about it, we are constantly having to take someone to the bathroom, make a snack, wash hands, something. This would be totally opposite from what we do.

I would love to see it and see how they do it. I love the outdoors but not sure about the outdoors and trying to keep up with 6 little ones-
We are outside AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE everyday. Now, in the nice months, its not an issue. We stay outside ALL day. In the cold winter, I'd say at least 2 hours a day.

As far as them exploring, I have some ground rules. I have to SEE you and you have to SEE me at all times. (Which is also in my regs) If I can't see you and I call your name, and you don't respond immediately, and come back into sight range, then you spend the rest of the day as my personal buddy. I keep the younger ones (2 1/2 or so and younger) much closer. SA dont have to be within sight, but again, if I call their name they BETTER say "right here!"

For me the liability is the same whether they climb a tree or fall off the slide. My parents are all on board with my philosophy, and my liability coverage is up to date. In ten years, Ive only had 1 accident requiring stitches, and the child fell within 10 feet of my front door, not out in the woods exploring.

My age range is from birth to 12 years old. The older ones (SA) are self sufficient, and can come in and out as they please. For the younger ones, I still maintain a schedule for diaper changes, potty breaks, and meals. If someone has to go potty, it only takes a second for us to step inside and go about our business. As soon as they're done, we head right back outside again. Its become such a routine, the kids dont mind it. All-the-time potty breaks really don't happen that often...I suppose they are too engaged in what they are doing to worry about it.

And yup, the infants come right along with us. I have quite an arsonal of strollers, wagons, wraps, and carriers. And when the conditions are safe for them, they are on the ground as much as possible. I've even been known to plop them in a snowbank and place some toys around them to keep them busy. Instant boppy chair.

We're not ALWAYS in the woods. Somedays we just stay in the play area. Either way, I think outdoor play and physical exercise are the MOST important part of the day. My kiddos behave better, get along better, learn better, and are more creative, when we are outside.

Not to mention there is less mess inside to have to clean all the time...and thats a perk.