View Single Post
momofboys 09:51 AM 01-07-2010
I started providing childcare this past September & despite my own attempts to remain healthy I seem like I am always fighting off a cold or a sore throat or minor cough. Seriously I have never had this many bouts of minor illnesses in one winter. I do have 3 children of my own, two who are in grade school & one who is home with me & "helps" me provide care for other children. I have never been so seriously sick that I had to call off (no fever, no vomiting, etc). Here is what I do to help prevent things: I disinfect doorknobs, sink knobs, toilet handles, coutners, toys, etc. I try to get a good amount of sleep although I know I can do better. I eat pretty healthy & exercise 3 x a week & take vitamins. I wash my hands like crazy & use hand gel when I can't get right to the sink. And my kids have had to stay home from school more days than they did last year. So is this fairly normal? Do other childcare providers find that they get sick more often, get more colds b/c of their extra exposure to kids with runny noses/etc? Is there anything else I can do to cut down on my exposure other than to stop providing childcare?