View Single Post
EchoMom 08:32 PM 08-20-2012
I opened my daycare of 6 in the winter, everyone was new, everyone got sick, ALOT. Colds just kept going around and around and around. I tried to wipe noses, wash hands, sanitize toys, etc. It didn't seem to help. No matter how vigilant I tried to be, the babies still swapped spit and the toddlers still sneezed and wiped their noses with their hands "shared" all their toys and germs!

I felt SOOOOOOOOOOO guilty like it was my fault and that the parents would think I was a dirty provider who just let everyone get sick. I don't feel that way anymore. Now I just feel like kids can be contagious before we even realize it and it's too late. They're just going to get sick, they're supposed to get sick, getting sick (minor) makes them stronger as they build their immune system.

I have only sent kids home for fevers. Never had any diareah or vomiting yet. If a kid is sick, the parents still need to work and the child just needs a place to be. They can lay in their bed all day, watch movies, eat popscicles, look at books, etc. I think that if you offer good care for minor illnesses you will win yourself loyal loyal families who are so grateful.

And I did give a nebulizer to a 6 month old twice a day every day for a week. It was a pain in the butt but it's what the baby needed, it wasn't hurting anyone else, and how could mom take a week off of work?

I agree, the bulb syringe will help, hot washcloths for steam, I'd even stuff some toilet paper up their noses and just let it stay there if the tots didn't object and pull it out.